Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, first question:

1979 CX500 Standard, aka "Plastic Maggot."

The standard bars are going to be the second thing to go.

SO. . . .

Wanting to keep the essence of the bike pure, I am going to retain the bikini fairing and all plastics.

Doing this means being careful about which cafe bars are used. Two reasons:

1) I don't want to hit the tank.

2) I will not be cutting or modifying the bikini fairing in any manner (except to add a fly screen).

Clubman bars have a reputation of both hitting the tank, AND wreaking havoc with the fairing.

So, I am looking at alternatives.

First: Norman Hyde M type Cafe Bars, flat

Second, Ace Wide, with drop.

Third: Yamaha Wide Bar, flat.

Does anyone have experience with these types of bars?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, while eloquence is not necessary, a constructive statement as to why they "suck" would be somewhat more helpful.

Why does the M bar suck?

Why does the Ace Wide suck?

Why does the Yamaha Wide Flat suck?

Is it a compatibility or clearance issue, or are you just being negative because you don't like them personally?

·
Administrator
1,556 Posts
My favorite bar is the Daytona or Superbike bend. Daytona is a little higher. Either will work on a custom, and *should* work on a Standard or Deluxe just fine.

With Clubman bars, you can gain both fairing clearance and tank clearance by cutting the bar in the center (under the clamp), and welding in an extension.

Charles.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welding the bar in the middle would certainly solve that part of the equation. I'll keep that option in mind.

Personally, I do not like drag bars. Had them on a CB750F, they work fine, but I really don't like the look.

I would also like to note that I do not want a bar with a rise in it.

Flat or drop only.

·
Registered
460 Posts
If you would like to enjoy riding your bike for more then 30mins with out destroying your wrists I would not recommend the clubman bars.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have, but clip ons tend to be narrower, and either require dropping the forks more than I prefer, or changing out the headlight brackets, which I am trying to avoid.

So it sounds like the ideal option is going to be the M bar or the wide Yamaha.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@ 82cog, I used to flip the clubman bars upside down on my supersports, but I want a lower profile this time. This will become my track bike and canyon carver, while the euro will be my casual rider.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'd love to see pics!

Since I doubt I'll ever see them live, pics will definitely help me see if they are going to fit my vision of the bike.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Those are nice for those that don't want clipons. Where did you get these? There will be others that will be interested in this fit. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
280 Posts
They're the most comfortable bars I've used so far. If my ass didn't hurt after 300 miles I could probably ride 'em all day. I'd say the wrist position is most like Daytonas without feeling like a sail at 55+.

The only potential problem is the "m" bend loops over the fork ends, so you've only got about 3/4" clearance if you wanted to drop your fork tubes in the clamps.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have some pictures of a nearly flat Clubman bar that some of you may be interested in.

Unfortunately, they do not work on a 1978 or 1979 with the Plastic Maggot bikini fairing.

Even when flipped upside down, the bars do not have enough clearance for comfort adjustment.

So, I have no real choice but to use the Norman Hyde M Bar.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I have some pictures of a nearly flat Clubman bar that some of you may be interested in.

Unfortunately, they do not work on a 1978 or 1979 with the Plastic Maggot bikini fairing.

Even when flipped upside down, the bars do not have enough clearance for comfort adjustment.

So, I have no real choice but to use the Norman Hyde M Bar.

By bikini fairing do you mean the plastic headlight nacelle that holds the instruments? Or do you have a Viper or other type of fairing on your bike?

If you are using the plastic headlight nacelle and want a bit more of a fairing look, I think I've found a (reasonable) source for replica flyscreens - I have one on order for my '78. http://www.mandp.co.uk/productinfo/330363/Bodywork/Screens-Unfaired-Motorcycles/On-Two-Wheels/CX500B-Fly-Screen

I have Superbike pattern bars on my '78 CX that has the stock plastic nacelle and there isn't a clearance problem with the nacelle but the bars have to be adjusted carefully to avoid bumping the tank. They are a pretty comfortable bar for me - I'm 6' tall. With a CX D or Standard style tank Daytona pattern bars (at least the Bikemaster version) create a clearance issue with the tank at the throttle cable bends - the throttle has to be slightly rotated back to create clearance for the cable bends or the bars have to be rotated forward a bit. I have a set of Daytonas I'm going to try on my '79 project bike but will only have a single throttle cable on it.

VC3

1 - 20 of 79 Posts