Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 347 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, Id like to introduce myself to the board. My names Noah and I live in Santa Cruz Ca. While Im new to CX's ive been tinkering and rebuilding CB's for a few years now.

Some of you may have seen the "Ridiculous CX500 on craigslist" thread, you know, the poor 80 CX with 4 foot bars and extended seat and controls. Well That was a buddy of mine that built it for a ghetto bike show in SF. It sat in his yard for about 5 months collecting rust and spider webs, until I felt sorry for the poor thing and offered him 400 dollars for it.

I've got the title and current registration, the bike and boxes of parts he pulled off before molesting the poor thing. The bike is in good mechanical condition and ran great yesterday when I picked it up.

So, with a bonus day off from work (today the 2nd) I started tearing into it and removing all the crap that was welded to the frame.

Poor, poor bike:

Getting a good, 2hr scrub down:

I'll have to attempt some "in frame" touch up of the motor, also going to clean up the frame in spots and re spray where its needed:

Scrap metal:

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
MORE:

Started cleaning up a few pieces stripped the lever of paint and cleaned up:

And gave the carbs a little love, cleaned and verified everything is good to go, checked the jets and such. Before cleaning:

Thats all for today, I'll come back and post pics when I get more done. Thanks for looking!

·
Registered
915 Posts
Well, welcome to the forum. Thank you for saving that bike. Looked too nice to have all the 'growths' on it.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Be free little CX500!

It looks much happier with the barnacles removed.

That was a pretty funny project.

Next time he should use a mini bike, that would really look silly.

Rusty

ps I kinda think the "Kaw" tank and minimalist look should prevail.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I decided that I would pull the motor to respray it. I just couldnt live with myself for cutting those corners, haha. So, now the the motor can get the attention it deserves and (once I finish cutting grinding and welding) The frame will be powder coated. I scored a nice Deluxe tank from a member on here, so I will need to make sure I dont need to modify anything on the frame up front to make it work (there might be some clearance issues with the forks im going to use, maybe set the tank back an inch?). Also, I found a good use for the Custom tank that came with the bike!
Going to build a tail section out of it. i might graft it onto the stock seat pan I just ordered, or make a new pan. I wont really know until it shows up in the mail. On to pics!

A pretty bad pic, but its kind of a rough idea of the tail proportions and such.

Ordering some polishing compounds and wheels tonight! Going to give it a go on all the aluminum on the motor. Will keep you posted
Thanks for looking, Noah

·
Registered
18 Posts
What have you sprayed the engine with about four or five pics up from the bottom? Paint? or is that some kind of cleaner/stripper?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What have you sprayed the engine with about four or five pics up from the bottom? Paint? or is that some kind of cleaner/stripper?

Haha that was "Foamy engine brite". I was just trying to remove any last bit of grease by giving it a scrub down before sanding the engine down and spraying a coat of primer.

·
Super Moderator
15,360 Posts
Depending on how much help you have you might want to put the bike back together a bit differently. Once and the easiest way I have put a bike together was placing the engine on a floor jack. I would probably use a cinder block instead but with the engine on a platform I was able to lift the frame up onto the engine and easily bolt it in place.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/3412896999/

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The bike was hanging so I could play around with the front end, and remove it. I actually set the motor and frame on a milk crate, unbolted and pulled the bare frame with rear wheel up and back off the motor. I bet the floor jack would be nice when your dealing with a complete bike though. These old hondas sure have some heft to them.

·
Super Moderator
11,458 Posts
Add me to the list who are glad the circus clown prop is in better hands. Nice job, Noah.

Joel in the Couve

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh man, what have I done!!! started looking at cx's with modern front ends and immediately got carried away. This was supposed to be a quick n cheap build up.

I more than doubled the bikes build cost today! Yikes, ordered an 08 cbr600 inverted front end with brakes, rotors and clip ons. Its supposed to be a bolt on situation from what I have read (fingers crossed
). I plan to make some rotor adapters and axle spacers at work to be able to use the stock CX front wheel. Cant wait to get the frame back on two wheels!

·
Registered
73 Posts
I just read the original post and checked out the Craigslist pics. I can't believe you buddy said he rode that in it's original form at 60mph. Good luck with the build...it looks like you are giving her the home she deserves.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Oh man, what have I done!!! started looking at cx's with modern front ends and immediately got carried away. This was supposed to be a quick n cheap build up.

I more than doubled the bikes build cost today! Yikes, ordered an 08 cbr600 inverted front end with brakes, rotors and clip ons. Its supposed to be a bolt on situation from what I have read (fingers crossed
). I plan to make some rotor adapters and axle spacers at work to be able to use the stock CX front wheel. Cant wait to get the frame back on two wheels!
Ha ha ha! Believe me, we are NOT here to discourage overspending on cool mods! These bikes use some sort of mind control on us to spend way more than intended.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ha ha ha! Believe me, we are NOT here to discourage overspending on cool mods! These bikes use some sort of mind control on us to spend way more than intended.

HA! Yes, at first I was like "cool, I'll build this funky, ugly and awkward honda up into a beater commuter, that'd be fun..." and now the more my bikes motor stares at me from its milk crake in the garage, the more I grow to love it for its indivuality! They sound so GREAT too!

·
Registered
851 Posts
Here's how I kept my made up Comstar wheel 2.15" x 18" front '07 GSX-R 750 Suzuki front end.

Yes, the do sound great, try a two into one exhaust.

Cheers, 50gary

click to enlarge

Click to add title CXbrakerotorad...

Click to add title

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the pics! That was about what i was thinking was going to need to happen, It sure helps to actually see them. I'll start taking measurements when all the pieces arrive. What did you end up doing for the axle? change bearings or make sleeves for the outside of the stock cx axle? (not sure the cx axle will be wide enough...)

·
Registered
18 Posts
so you had to sand the whole engine block? with what if I can ask? it looks so clean? and then you primed it? are you painting the engine?

1 - 20 of 347 Posts