Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a brand new set of 3 cables from ebay 2 years ago. They were to long. Stitch was here and together we came up with a way they would work, but it looked retarded. Now 2 of the 3 are rusty. I couldnt move the throttle at all. So I removed the cables and gave a pull, and I could feel the rust inside. So I need the throttle push and pull, a tach cable, and a clutch cable. Maybe I should have put this in the buying and selling part of this forum? Any ideas?

Oh and where do you get the 3 prong plug for the stator?

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
If the cables were new and you wanted to use them I would suggest dripping penetrating oil down them till they move under ease.

·
Registered
762 Posts
mr. softie is referring to this : ACG Connector Repair Kit (Honda P/N 31105-ML8-305). The kit includes both male and female connectors with six inches of wire fixed in each lug, six pieces of shrink tubing, an insufficient amount of solder, and straight-forward instructions. All one does is splice it in. Sells for $10-$15

This guy is great source for connectors for our bikes:

Eastern Beaver

If you are unsure what you need, you can email him your bike info. I have also sent him a picture on occasion too just to verify before ordering. Jim always promptly returns my emails. Might be able to buy just the connector from him for less money than the Honda kit.

Cables - I have purchased cables from motion pro in the past. I have also had them custom make cables for me. Haven't had any problems with them yet.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If the cables were new and you wanted to use them I would suggest dripping penetrating oil down them till they move under ease.
I might get away with that with the throttle cables, but do you remember how long my clutch cable is? If only I would have caught that sooner I would have sent them all back! But when they got here the bike was all torn apart.

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
Yeah that clutch cable was stupidly long. Of course you know this already but I would go back to stock and get rid of that ugly riser system that came with your bike. Stock cables do just fine. The risers made your bike look hacked a bit since you couldn't even put the key in easy.

You can also use just a single throttle cable if you want.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah that clutch cable was stupidly long. Of course you know this already but I would go back to stock and get rid of that ugly riser system that came with your bike. Stock cables do just fine. The risers made your bike look hacked a bit since you couldn't even put the key in easy.

You can also use just a single throttle cable if you want.
I have used just 1 cable before but didnt think I was supposed to. I hate sticky cables. I hate anything that doesnt work like it should really.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.