Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The PO had put on what I think he said were "flat" handlebars off a 750F and I'm switching back to stock handlebars as I don't like the riding position it puts me in.

I pulled the old bars and I don't think he changed cables but I could be wrong.

I had to re-route the throttle cables from between the front of the stem and out the front of triple tree to behind the stem in front of the tank. I had to do the same with the clutch cable.

How should they be routed? Anyone have a link to microfiche where I can look it up?

With the stock handlebar I bought off ebay the brake hose is a little bit of a stretched out fit but it appears to be an old stock hose. What path should the brake hose take to the MC from the stay on the fender?

Anyone have a '78 CX500 (or early '79) with some photos of the routing you could share for the handlebar cables and wiring?

Thanks! I appreciate the help getting this back to stock configuration.

David

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bandit, Your the bomb...to use an old expression!

Thank you so much! You are a lifesaver and I appreciate the efforts in digging up the information.

Gracias Senor Bandit!

I'm going to have to measure the cable length as some of them simply wouldn't reach if routed like stock.

Thanks again!

How is the TLC project bike coming along? Sunflower is it? Your hard work certainly have made it look nice.

David

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I can't get the throttle cables to route correctly and still fit.

I'll give it another try tomorrow...I didn't run them quite right today and they were 2-3 inches short. I'll see if going in front of the triple tree and up by the ignition gives me the extra room. It probably will. (At least that is what I hope...)

Thanks!

David

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had a busy week at work and my bike is at a friends place where it can be in his "pole barn". (I've got a really good friend who let's me store my bike at his place and work on it there too...) Anyway, I tried re-routing the throttle cables as shown and they simply aren't reaching.

Maybe the PO put shorter cables on the bike??

Anyone know what the length of the stock cables are? Figured I would measure mine and see if they are shorter.

I'd hate to replace perfectly good (functional) cables if they are the same/correct length and I'm just not doing something right.

Thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.