Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was looking at cable lube, and the lube tool for my old cables, see if can revive the old cables and get some more use out of them. They work, but dry/stiff.

Decided to take a few inches of hose, slide over the end of the cable and clamp it on, fill the end with lube then using the air blower tool for my compressor, put it on the end and force the oil through.

Is cable lube anything special? or would something like WD40 (unlikely), or a spray can of White Lithium Grease work? or even something like 5W30 motor oil? So long as the lubrication gets from A-to-B... if I can use something I already have I'd rather that then buying another can of something. My shelves are getting full. :D

·
Registered
354 Posts
Just a note: I bought one of those "cable luber" things, and they are friggin' brilliant. Love it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
When I need to lube up my crusty old cables I usually use bike chain lube. I would think WD40 or motor oil would seep out too quickly, but I havent tried them. I can say that chain lube is sorta sticky, so it should stay inside the cable better.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya, watched a few youtube vids and seem like it be pretty good to have and not too much money, but, figured for how often I'd use it, tube/air compressor idea may work.

The Lube though is like $17-20 a can, which is why I was wondering what it was... if it's essentially white lithium grease with a different label, I'd use what I have.

Tool is actually cheaper than the grease so may buy the tool only... ordering muffler clamps and a crankcase filter today, just figuring what else I 'need' before I click the buy button. :)

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
WD40 I mentioned but figured would evaporate and dry out a bit fast... motor oil maybe a bit too thick. The lithium though may work, and in a spray can so would work with the tool... just not sure when it comes to viscosity, would need something thin enough to make it through the cables.

Also, can they be lubed while still on the bike? or do they need to lay flat/straight? How-to's online always show them flat out, but may just be for demo purposes.

Graphite, never used before, I see it comes in a tube and a spray. How do you get the small squeeze tube to go through the entire cable?

·
Registered
354 Posts
WD40 I mentioned but figured would evaporate and dry out a bit fast... motor oil maybe a bit too thick. The lithium though may work, and in a spray can so would work with the tool... just not sure when it comes to viscosity, would need something thin enough to make it through the cables.

Also, can they be lubed while still on the bike? or do they need to lay flat/straight? How-to's online always show them flat out, but may just be for demo purposes.
I did mine on the bike. ...maybe I'm lazy...

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maybe... but if you are, I'm right there with ya... if I can avoid getting all the cables out and putting them all back in, I will. :D

·
Registered
200 Posts
for cables i use tri-flow its real good stuff made for....wait for it...........................cables lol
a lot of push bike store's use it

WD-40 is good for throwing in the bin for most stuff it just evaporates a much better product is "INOX"--- much much better inox doesn't eat rubber either liked wd-40 dose.

i recently used tri-flow to to bring my almost seized clutch cable back to life

·
Registered
279 Posts
Bicycle experience says just dribble oil down the top. Thicker is better. Not wd40.

If you actually have a loose end, grease the cable lightly and slide the sheath over it.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
My cables haven't been used since '89... else I'd grab a cheap small tube of that graphite stuff which they have in stock locally... the spray cans of course, no stock... but I think given the age and stiffness, I'll need to get a spray to forces it through the entire cable versus letting it gradually work it's way through.

I think I'll grab that $12 tool... but rather than $20 for cable-lube, I'll get the store to bring in that graphite stuff for 1/2 the price. Probably the gunk 'dry' graphite. always have good luck with their products.

GUNK Liquid Wrench Dry Graphite

Jig-a-Loo Graphite Extreme

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Still waiting for the lube-tool to arrive, tomorrow I hope (was in stock but took 6-7 days to leave the warehouse).

Probably getting the Jig-a-loo Graphite, hoping it doesn't dry/clog mid through the lines.

I was wondering though, and maybe overkill, is there a spray I can flush the lines with? Given the age... probably full of grit and rust powder. A lot of the 3-in-1 sprays like silicone or lithium, cleans the crud out a bit (clean, lubricate, protect I believe is what the 3-in-1 means). With the graphite, there is no cleaning.

I assume brake cleaner would be too strong. Dries fast and would flush it great but might damage the plastic coating of the cables. Can't use silicone/lithium/WD40 because then the graphite might not stick.

From what I've read the graphite is great, but, sometimes clogs and almost like paint to get off, so, trying to make sure the tubes are clear as possible.

·
Super Moderator
15,336 Posts
I use scary gun oil. Breakfree CLP comes in a spray can like wd40 and includes a straw. The name itself means Clean, Lubricate, and Preserve. Many people who use it on guns and other metal products claim it protects their finish over 2 years without signs of wear on stored items.

Here's a snipit from the Brownells website.

A super cleaner, lubricant, preservative containing Teflon and other specialized chemicals. Penetrates and displaces corrosion, dirt, firing residue and water better than ordinary solvents. Keeps on working after application as a fantastic lubricant that grit can’t adhere to; coated parts actually become self-cleaning.

·
Registered
200 Posts
i would get the tri-flow i posted earlier and leave it at that...................... i don't see how you will get the Graphite, all the way through the cable if it has any type of moisture or old lube it's going to clog

i was going to replace my almost seized clutch cable until i serviced it with tri-flow

Triflow - Tri-Flow Pin Point Lubricator

·
Registered
1,638 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i would get the tri-flow i posted earlier and leave it at that...................... i don't see how you will get the Graphite, all the way through the cable if it has any type of moisture or old lube it's going to clog
i was going to replace my almost seized clutch cable until i serviced it with tri-flow
Triflow - Tri-Flow Pin Point Lubricator
I was looking for Tri Flow, but having no luck with it either... found it on Amazon.ca, for only $90 a can! Ya... crazy, Amazon.ca is getting flooded with items from Amazon.com but the prices are jacked way way up. Makes Amazon look better because such a big selection of products, but, USA sellers have no intent on shipping stuff to Canada so prices are such that you'd have to be desperate to buy it. Plus, being an explosive in an aerosol can, I doubt they can ship to Canada anyways. Found a few forum posts on Google of people asking where it can be bought in Canada as well.

Graphite, I was worried about clogging. Read a few posts/reviews about how fast it dries and sometimes clogs and because almost like spray paint when dries, if it got stuck halfway down the cable, I'd be screwed.

I'm going to call the local bike shop today, that seems to never carry anything that's on their site... see if they have PJ1 in stock. Canada Motorcycle has it online, but I find that even if in stock, it takes 6-7 days to leave the warehouse and I kinda want to get this done this week. I was going to start the bike this weekend (or attempt to) but a few small parts I need to have first, still haven't shown up from that website because took a week to send it.

·
Super Moderator
4,063 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Ya, but looking for the spray.... I have the tool coming and given that these are the original cables, I wanted a spray to help push/flush dirt/rust out the lines.

Hey, London ON, I'm like an hour North of you.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts