Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of ATTEMPTING to shorten my clutch/throttle cables.

Everything seems pretty straight forward except for the ferrule replacement.

I've been to a bicycle shop and a chopper shop with no luck.

Is there a source for these parts or do I try to make my own?

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
Larry the carb bloke had some good pictures on the old forum for making cable ends.Don't know if they are still around.

The trick is to make a wider counter-sink on the outside of the nipple,then splay the end of the cable,then solder/braze.

You can buy brass nipples,

http://stores.ebay.com/RIDERS-DISCOUNT/_i.html?_nkw=nipples&submit=Search&_sid=223366715

They need to be hard soldered or brazed to be secure.Some people who don't have access to shop bought have made them using the shanks of a bolt the right size,drilling and then lead soldering/brazing them.

I looked on US Ebay but solder less nipples that can be used all seem to be over here in the UK,

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?LH_Avai.../i.html?_nkw=solderless+nipples&_arr=1&_rdc=1

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I shortened my clutch cable but now that I'm doing the throttles I hit a little hiccup. Cut off the ball end then was pulling the adjuster off and there is a pressed on thingy that allows the adjuster to swivel. Might have to put it back together without it.

I'm going to have to take some pictures, I have a technique that's kinda neat for putting on a new ball end.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Does anyone that has shortened their cables recall how much cable they ended up cutting off? I went from Buckhorns to Daytona's and need to order new cables.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Does anyone that has shortened their cables recall how much cable they ended up cutting off? I went from Buckhorns to Daytona's and need to order new cables.
You have to measure buddy. That's the best advice I can give you on that. If I told you I took 2 inches off my clutch cable, that might not be right for you if our cables were dif lengths to start with.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts

In this next picture you can just see the piece still in the end that didn't come out with the cable.

Putting the adjuster on the end of the cable, it turns just fine without that piece so I'm not going to worry about it.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Find the right size drill bits. Our clutch cable is 9/32 and throttle cables 1/4. Also need a 9/64 or so for the cable to fit through.

Grab a 2x4 and drill your holes.

Fill the hole completely with solder paste or flux. Get out all the wood shavings first.

Have water on hand and melt your solder into the hole. Dip your CLEAN cable in flux and stick it in the small hole when you are sure you have the larger hole full of liquid hot steamy solder.

Now chisel out your cable after it has cooled for a minute.

It will look a little rough, so use a file or whatever.

I used leaded solder, the type you use for copper pipes. The clutch cable end pulled off while riding.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I am in the process of ATTEMPTING to shorten my clutch/throttle cables.

Everything seems pretty straight forward except for the ferrule replacement.

I've been to a bicycle shop and a chopper shop with no luck.

Is there a source for these parts or do I try to make my own?

Reuse the old ones. Put the outer black cable end in a vise gently heat the ferrule and pull it off the black cable. Put it back on the same way in reverse procedure.

Edit: I think someone is using the wrong term for a "ball or Barrel" cable end? A ferrule has a hole through it for the cable to slide or pass through. In our case the small chrome cap end of the black outer cable. A ball or barrel end is soldered fast as a stop.

Cheers, 50gary

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I used leaded solder, the type you use for copper pipes.
All the plumbing solder is now lead free, it's mostly tin with a little silver &/or nickel in it.

If you want a leaded solder you'll have to hit an electronics store.

In theory the lead free solder with Silver in it is stronger.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Broke the clutch cable today. Didn't last long. Lost the old tip in the gravel when I cut it off. Making a new one from a drill bit shank. Going to try tack welding the cable in there after fraying the ends in the counter sunk hole. Buying another clutch cable off ebay as a spare to carry on the bike just in case. Maybe a throttle cable to, although there is much more tension on a clutch cable end.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
All the cables are still available from Honda even though your dealer may need to order them in.

No shipping that way often offsets the total eBay price and you get real OEM.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
All the cables are still available from Honda even though your dealer may need to order them in.

No shipping that way often offsets the total eBay price and you get real OEM.
Your local shop needs to make money off of people. In the general discussion thread, under quick reference, there is a place to get discounts by mentioning this forum. And the parts are OEM. We should take advantage of this, myself included. I keep forgetting

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Yea, but it's usually the shipping that makes or breaks the deal. My speedometer cable was actually cheaper through the dealer despite the discounts some of our suppliers offer to the form and it was there in 3 days.

If you've got a lot of stuff to buy then you really have to compare the bottom lines.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Welded a barrel end to the clutch cable today. Made the end from a bolt. It got my bike home. Not going to trust it enough to ride with it any more. Going to wait until the new cable comes to do any riding. Plenty to do on the bike while I wait. But gosh it was neat riding it, even for just 2 miles. And even with a cable that was to short, acted like the clutch was partially pulled in, and there was no adjustment that could be done. Had to baby the throttle.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Here is my temporary clutch cable repair.

So far it has lasted over a year. LOL

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.