Honda CX 500 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
IMG_6429.JPG

Here is the newly fabricated electronics enclosure welded to the bike frame.
The box itself was CNC machined into 8 parts.
The points that weld to the frame are mild steel. The box itself is aluminum.
This guy Abe from Weld-Tech in redwood city, CA is doing the TIG welding and polishing.

Looks really good.

Should be ready for paint and final assembly in late Aug.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Also made some progress on the tank.
After repair and welding in a new filler cap - the tank was hydro-dipped in carbon fiber ink.
then we had some trouble with the painting and made a few changes.
Seems to be back on track now.. see the new checkerboard stripe and two tone fade to black at the very bottom of the tank.
white HONDA lettering running off the side.

Looks pretty good i think!

image4.JPEG
image5.JPEG
image3.JPEG

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Andrei at BBCR sold me the plug covers. He makes them custom. Can’t remeber what he charged me. They use some rubber o-rings you can get off amazon.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
RE: "Go Big or Go Home"

I guess so. its like twice the size i was thinking.. but ok. i guess we're going with that.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Finished tank painting and sending it out for clear coat.

Hope to begin final re-assembly end of the month.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Going back together again now. Hope this is final assembly.

Frame is sanded, primed and re-painted. Put the motor back in this morning.

Managed to somehow lose two motor mount bolts I’ll need to locate.

Probably will put the carbs back on tonight and reconnect the throttle and clutch.

Murray I will send you back the first set of polished intakes - I still owe you those.

Thx

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Mostly done!

Thanks to the forum for help over the last 17 months!

Started with a rusty 1980 cx500 & blown motor. Ended up with a new resto mod 1980 cafe racer and 79 motor (thx Larry). Every nut and bolt gone through.

I’ll write a build summary with sources in another post if anyone is interested in that:

Keyless ignition wiring from Motogadget is cool.

The paintwork on the tank is incredible. A guy named Perry Mallet in Seattle did that. If anyone wants his contact information you can PM me. He was good.

Tach, rear brake line, brake and indicator wiring should be the last few things. Might like to figure out how to fit a carbon fiber front fender to those forks.. idk... maybe

Thx

Attachments

·
Registered
964 Posts
Great build and very good craftmanship too...well done!

What do you call this beast?? Is it a brat...or a cafe racer..??..lol... (Thinking along the Mad Max lines...but with a lot more style)

Are you going to shorten the clutch cable and the brake hoses perhaps...for a more polished look?

Nevertheless...great build...very unique!! :cool:

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Excellent! It is wonderful to see these old machines resurrected into a thing of beauty!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
Re the clutch and brake cables: yes good eye - I have some shorter brake lines on order the clutch cable I need to talk to Murray about to see how to shorten that up.
The rear brake line isn’t even on there yet

I don’t know what style I would call that maybe Brat Bobber. Tires are sort of scrambler.

There are a few more things to do - probably like anything I’ve ever built it’s never really done till you sell it to somebody else.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
12 month sidetrack - new exhaust routing.

From the last post in which we declared victory and "final" assembly.
We went on a tangent to find a different exhaust solution. While I loved the BBCR style exhaust it was so loud it was unusable.
I tried several approaches to silencing it.. baffles etc.
But the exhaust also vented directly into your legs.

So we went shopping for some other solution. This is what we came up with (12 months later)
a GPR (Italian aftermarket exhaust) with a "reverso" style set of mufflers.
It was originally designed to go on a Buell XB12R which is sort of like a harley v-twin sport bike (sort of) in which the exhaust is routed under the bike and exits near the front tire.

In this cx500 case the exhaust loops around the bike with silencers on each side and exits out the front right.
I like the way it looks - other may not. Its fit/finish is now not quite as nice as what Andre could do from BBCR
I had more time/$$ I would have the pipes re-shaped a little - in this case I cut the BBCR pipes apart and re-welded segments vs forming new down pipes in one nicer flowing fabrication.

Haven't started it yet.

Wonder how it sounds ?!?!?!

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Up and running again.

Thanks Murray for your assistance. I was not careful to clean my gas tank after painting and I also ran the petcock valve set on reserve when the tank was low.

Don’t do those things.

Sucked some crud into the carburetor jets and Murray cleaned them for us and shortened the throttle cable.

Runs really well. Fires right up and the idle Drops to a nice level with the chokes are off.

Here is how the cx500 sounds with this Buell GPR style exhaust. I really like it for many reasons.

https://youtu.be/ykHgym2fKA8

Looks good to me, sound is quiet enough and it has a baffle that can be removed if you like it louder and best of all it exits from the front of the bike away from your legs.

Perfect.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)
Where is the “switched ground” for the CX500 ignition coil?

I want to connect the rpm/tach sensor for a motogadget classic gauge and I’m not sure what to use for the input signal. I run a stock system and there are all kinds of warnings not to connect to the ignition high voltage circuit but I’m not sure where to pick a “switched ground” signal to one of the coils?

Anyone know? I searched a little and haven’t found a good link on that yet.

I think the ignition coils only have one wire coming into them and I think they ground to the frame.

Here is the instrument.
https://motogadget.com/shop/en/motoscope-classic-speedo.html

It’s got a yellow wire that the manual says goes to the switched ground for any one of the ignition coils
https://motogadget.com/shop/media/downloads/manual/msc_chc_manual_en_4.9_k.pdf

21 - 40 of 53 Posts