Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy is selling is 82 Silverwing. Runs great. Rides good. He is a mechanic and keeps up on the oil changes, tune ups etc. The bike seems to be in alright condition cosmetically. I am wondering what common issues potentially could arise, what bolt on performance parts are available, what the best performance upgrades are, and what common conversions/bad a** conversions people do. He is selling it for 800 and has 22,000 on it. Thanks for helping out the FNG :) gl5001.jpg

·
Super Moderator
3,889 Posts
That looks like a Silverwing Interstate from which the fairings, saddle bags and trunk have been removed. It is also missing the grab handle on the rear seat.
It would be good to adjust the cam chain tension and do the dental mirror check to get an idea of the expected remaining life in the cam chain.
Check the tires for the date code. Tires much older than five years should be replaced regardless of their apparent condition and tread.
Probably the best performance upgrade is to install a set of mikuni carbs from Murray's Carbs. You will pay for the performance in more frequent stops for fuel.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It does come with the fairing and trunks he just had them removed at the time. Thanks for the tip! I intend to go through it a bit and check compression, chain tension, stator etc.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That looks like a Silverwing Interstate from which the fairings, saddle bags and trunk have been removed. It is also missing the grab handle on the rear seat.
It would be good to adjust the cam chain tension and do the dental mirror check to get an idea of the expected remaining life in the cam chain.
Check the tires for the date code. Tires much older than five years should be replaced regardless of their apparent condition and tread.
Probably the best performance upgrade is to install a set of mikuni carbs from Murray's Carbs. You will pay for the performance in more frequent stops for fuel.
Is there a power gain that comes with the Mikuni's? I had to rebuild the set of 4 off my old Suzuki so I am familiar with them. Would you say its worth the $600?

·
Super Moderator
3,889 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What about the mufflers? Don't see those in your pic either? Just something to consider. :D

EJ
Lol I agree! Its pretty trashy to have just the cut offs. My buddy lives in the boonies where sound ordinance, safety laws, and emissions are non-exsistent. Does anyone make after-market pipes for it anymore?

·
Super Moderator
3,889 Posts
The best aftermarket mufflers are made by Harley-Davidson! :eek::p

Reactions: Sidecar Bob

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Lol I agree! Its pretty trashy to have just the cut offs. My buddy lives in the boonies where sound ordinance, safety laws, and emissions are non-exsistent. Does anyone make after-market pipes for it anymore?
If you run the bike, in that configuration, it's going to be REALLY lean. The H-Box is for balance, and scavenging, only. That's not a silencer.
Some mufflers, and/or rejetting may be necessary.

·
Super Moderator
3,889 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
thanks for that link, relic.
had to do a quick search to find that "dyna" refers to an "fxd" model of harley. now i know more about harleys than i need to. ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts