Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all:

Thanks for hosting this forum, what a great resource!

I moved to the US a few years back, was living in India where I had an amazing Royal Enfield Classic 500. Problem is we had great mechanics there that could fix everything for supercheap—I need to learn to get my hands dirty now. Have been thinking about getting a CX for a while now, really enjoy the aesthetic and seems like a more advanced ancestor to my 2012 Enfield.

Was looking at this particular one and just wanted to run it by the collective wisdom here to see if any red flags jump out.

The owner says the starting roughness comes from "some dirty gas in it" from sitting for a few months of Covid life and it just needs to be flushed out with Seafoam. Any potential issues with the modified exhaust he mentions?

Any big picture things I would likely need to address with a 79 Deluxe over time? Does $1000 sound fair for this one?

Would appreciate any thoughts, big or small. Looking forward to some CX-ness soon!

·
Registered
226 Posts
It seems reasonable. Google Motofaction for a website with a lot of good information on assessing and working on these bikes.

The carburetor thing sounds like it could be more of an issue than a run through with seafoam, but that might do the trick. I've found from owning an 83 that you never know what's going to come next.

Sent from my Redmi 7A using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,006 Posts
The seller says that fuel runs from the pods with the petcock turned on. This suggests a problem with the float needle valves.
The clutch cable is not installed correctly.
Hard to tell from the pictures, but does the header make it difficult to change the oil filter?

·
Registered
399 Posts
a little bit of fuel weep or fuel from the overflow tubes with tap left on is often secondary to a little "crud" build up....fuel coming from the pods suggests more-are you confident to do a full carbie strip down and rebuild??
Also smell the motor oil...does it smell of petrol/gas.....if so might have been run with gas in oil...not good....

·
Registered
251 Posts
I just looked at the pictures and the rear grab is missing, which will cause the rear fender and lights to flop around and maybe hit the wheel. Pull the side covers and see what carnage has been done when the pods were installed. Check those things next time you look at it. The value just dropped for me personally.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
If you think you can handle a few issues it doesn't look terrible but IMO $1000 seems kind of high for what it sounds like. Minimum it sounds like you need to take the carbs off and deep clean them. The grab rail could be a problem as mentioned. Also it doesn't matter much but that's a standard, not a deluxe. Different gas tank cap and different wheels.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Pods and custom exhaust are often difficult to sort out for correct running, at least partly because the carbs are vacuum operated making them particularly sensitive to air flow. It's custom tuning and experience counts for a lot there. I would be leery if this is to be your first foray into motorcycle mechanics. The gas tank is likely body filled, causing the need for a non-stock paint job. At first glance the price is not unreasonable, but it will likely cause heartache for the inexperienced mechanic unless that's really what you want to become better at. Stock bikes are usually a better bet for the uninitiated. I apologize if I've made too many assumptions here about your motivation or experience.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the all quick feedback guys, really really appreciate it.

May take it for a spin and make a lower offer depending on how it looks in person. I'm in two minds about it. I think I can handle some of the issues—carb cleaning seems time-intensive but do-able based on the guides posted online. Happy to learn and slowly put work into it long-term. Just worried about it turning into a money drain. Sounds to me like it might only be worth it if I can get the price down a bit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quick follow-up question on this: I went and took a look at this one. The owner drove up and fuel was dripping (basically flowing) out through air pods as soon as he put it on the side stand. He said it had started doing this after he let it sit for six months during covid. Any thoughts about what could make this happen?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Could be stuck float valves. Like someone asked earlier, how comfortable are you with removing and opening up a carburetor? It sounds like a good negotiating point if you are

Sent from my Redmi 7A using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts