Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Wanted to see if I could get some opinions! I found a guy that's stripped a '79 CX500 custom (he thinks), selling the motor, carbs + rad together on CL for $300. Everything else is in boxes and he's selling for $100 and this is the part I'm interested in. He says everything is there except the handlebars and only the rear tire is usable (though both Comstar wheels are included) and as far as he knows the fuel tank is good and has two sets of side covers in good shape and all electronic parts and titled frame, forks, etc., etc.

I have not had much time to work on my '78 CX500, my wife wants to put the house up for sale this spring so my 'Honey Do' List has been consuming all of my free time lately.

From the little time I've spent with the bike I know I will need the following:-brake master cylinder at least rebuild if I can get it apart, or replaced if I can't (I currently have it soaking, last time I looked at it was stuck fast so I soaked it and haven't had time to look at it since).

-rear brake light switch.

-gasket that goes between the petcock and fuel tank.

-correct screws for mounting the controls (I'm using screws from my Virago parts bike that I cut to size).

I know there will be other things that I will need, just haven't determined what they will be yet. I suspect my engine will be fine (only 2500 miles), though I haven't checked/adjusted cam tension or valve clearance yet or check compression.

I think buying a spare engine as a shot in the dark is a little excessive, but $100 for all other parts might be a good buy and cover most everything else I may need.

Obviously my '78 has a different tank and seat (the king/queen in my profile pic is coming off, the original seat cover was included when I bought the bike and it's going back on). But I do need the brake master, the one I have has the round reservoir and I think it's the same part used on a bunch of 70's Honda bikes and the 79' custom has the rectangular plastic reservior (an inferior design in my opinion). Seller said the reservior isn't perfect, but is in working condition, may at least get me though the period of time that I get my '78 up and running before needing replacement or rebuilding.

Concerns if buying all parts from the '79 custom to use on my '78:-brake master not compatible (I think it is compatible, but could switch entire front braking system from the '79 if needed)

-coils and ignition components and regulator/rectifier not compatible between the '79 Custom and '78 Standard, this is where you guys can be a big help, I know Honda changed the ignition system at some point. It would be nice to have spares of these parts, but useless to me it the '78 and '79 aren't compatible. In my experience iginition parts alone are sometimes worth spending $100 to have spares of.

-If my fuel tank is bad (again, something I haven't had time to look at closesly enough), don't know if I can simply replace with the custom tank if it's good.

Anyway, sorry to be so long winded, but I guess the draw of having these parts is to have a bunch of extra stuff there that I don't have to hunt for when I finally have time to work on the bike, just not sure how much will be useful for my '78 CX500 project.

Thanks in advance for any/all input!

Adam

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Adam,wow that is a long post.just buy it 100 buck.a dream.sort out later if you can help others keep their bikes on the road.it,l end up costing you nothing i think

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lol, sorry about the excessive post bandit, I think I had too much Coffee this morning!

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
lol, sorry about the excessive post bandit, I think I had too much Coffee this morning!
hey buddy,no appologies needed,im just jealous,envious......100 bucks grab the box...

but,i do realise prices and values differ where you live.iv been out looking for a dremell,and cant buy one

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
I would pass if your intention is parts for your '78.

Very few of the parts will fit the '78. The instruments are different, the gas tank is different, the frame is different, the exhaust is different...etc. etc. I bought 2 parts bikes a while back...complete, a Deluxe and a Custom. The Deluxe is down to the frame and the Custom is still almost all there as very few parts would be of any future use on my 1978.

Keep an eye out, non-running '78s complete usually go for around $150.00, you'll be able to use everything that's any good on another '78.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I thought I was lucky getting an 80 and an 81, both custom for $400, both ran, one needed work, then I kinda forgot to check my oil, and I'm sure you know where that ended up... Didn't let the engine seize so I did a swap, which wasn't too bad, and now I'm looking at rebuilding the almost blown motor, at this point it doesn't look too bad, but I haven't gotten the pistons out, and have a few more things to get apart...

Anyway, I'd say buy it, worst case scenario you can sell the parts and come out ahead I'd imagine, could be wrong, wouldn't be the 1st time...

·
Registered
174 Posts
I think buying a parts bike for spare parts, especially in your situation of moving and little time (as you said you don't have time to work on your bike) is a bad idea. Also re-selling them will be very time consuming (parting out a whole bike) and again, as you said, little time.

If you really want spare parts, like for your brake system, a parts bike isn't the way to go. You want that stuff new. See this post:

http://cx500forum.com/index.php?/topic/3451-mastercylinder-rebuild/

For other spare parts i'd get ignitec via a group buy here.

A spare running engine is cool, if you have the room.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, thanks guys. I'll sleep on it, but probably pass on the deal. It doesn't sound like I'll be able to use as many parts for my '78 as I had hoped and that was the main goal.

The good thing is that the bike is already parted and in boxes so I could just go with my car to pick it up, he's selling the engine separately so I would have just bought the other parts and left the engine for someone else.

Cobram, it's getting harder to get bikes cheap all the time, at least here, and cheap bikes seem to disappear faster too. Not that long ago I'd say your estimate of $150 was bang on, but lately it seems that $300 or $350 for a non-running older bike is more the going rate and anything cheaper than that (regardless of manufacturer or state of disrepair) are gone as soon as they're posted. I check CL at least twice a day ('cause I'm addicted, and these stupid smart phones don't help!) and there have been a few CX/CL's pop up around here in the past few months, there were 2 lately that were less than $500, but most others are around $1000.

My bike's sort of on the back burner, until I get the house work done anyway. Just thought it would be good to have parts waiting in the wings.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
The master cylinder will work if it's still good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.