Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

So my ignition switch is shot, wear on the lock means the key barely turns and when it does if I put it in park it blows a fuse. I'm guessing this is caused by a previous owner replacing the contact base with one from a post-81 model. There's also a small drain on the battery in the off position and I'm reasonably sure the switch is the problem so I've been searching for a new one.

I finally found a set of ignition switch and matching petrol cap, looks to be in great condition and was taken from my bikes model year. However, the guy says there is an issue with it because the switch turns a full 360 degrees but claims this is a "simple DIY fix". I he talking crap or can it actually be easily and properly fixed?

Shane

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I guess I'll keep looking but it's just so difficult to find lock sets that anything looks tempting and I'm not about to surrender and end up with 3 different keys for the one bike.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Emgo makes replacements ignition switches with keys, you don't say what your bike is but on mine any key works on the tank. Screwdriver works too.

·
Super Moderator
15,336 Posts
Yep you have the wrong switch. I saw one once that when turned to park the wires started smoking and melting. Got it turned off in time but the owner wasn't happy that he finally learned what park means.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts