Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a chance to buy a 650 Turbo that's been sitting for 20 years inside. Plastic all looks good and I know it will need total overhaul to get on the road. The owner put oil in the cylinders to free the motor up. Is it worth buying? $3000. Thanks

·
Registered
417 Posts
pictures would help with an assessment. If he had to FREE THE MOTOR up, then that tells me it was frozen. So How bad is it inside makes a big diff. The fact that it was stored inside is a +. . There are some Key HARD TO FIND parts so if some of those are missing, that would impact a decision. But if everything is there and its not internally corroded. The price seems reasonable. If all parts are there, you would recoup that portion of your investment even if you had to part it out. Depending on your Skill level, you are probably looking at $2000-$5000 that you will need to invest. If you are looking to ride it and keep it, still reasonable as one in good shape holds value. Again, with some pictures, it would be easier to assess what your getting into.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Worked on Honda bikes and switched to Honda cars -hence the name. Have tools and knowledge to fix just want to make sure it's worth it. Been looking for one for a long time

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Fixa, the major difference between Honda cars and the CX turbo is that parts are generally available for even the oldest cars. With worldwide production of only around 1700 bikes, the supply of parts will always be the challenge. From the screenshots, the bike looks to be in good shape. If the paint is even close to being usable, that is a big plus. Patina is nice on a 37 year old bike. You will need to plan to clean the fuel system from top to bottom, brakes will need to be rebuilt, tires, battery, etc. and you will need to figure out why the bike quit running, or was parked. If it has 10,000 miles or more it may need a triple bypass. As to price, it sounds high to me, but I might pay that if the bike did not need to be repainted. Your location also matters, if you were in the UK or Downunder, the price would be cheap, but if it was in rural Arkansas during a recession, I would be offering $1500 right now. With so many people off of work right now I am thinking about taking 20 $100 bills and see how the guy responds.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
The bike looks very nice for that price. I saw that he had it advertised for $6,000, so he came down a bunch from his initial asking price. Nice shop by the way.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Alot of small stuff to do. New gaskets and seals everywhere. New valve guide seals and lapped the valves. Repainting valve covers and clutch cover. Searching for parts takes time. Amazing how many parts I can get from my Honda car dealership. Should have the engine back in later this week. On the road soon

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just got the turbo back. Had it rebuilt and balanced. Injectors got cleaned and ready to be installed

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Nice! You are the right guy for the right bike!

·
Registered
417 Posts

What process did you use on your head cover.
Black paint, was it
=.> hI TEMP ceramic, enamel or was it epoxy or just standard gloss -> type and brand if u don't mind sharing
=> Polished aluminum left alone, or was a sealer applied or perhaps a clearcoat? again if coated, if you do not mind sharing, what did you use.

Looks very Good.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Started with paint stripper. Then walnut blasting followed by scotch brite pads. Taped off and sprayed caliper paint. Baked in propane grill per directions on can. Spray ed with clear and baked again.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts