Honda CX 500 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
(y)
Mine was "ignitech box"...so targeting those hard to find/$ parts....

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,305 Posts
He asked me if I was still interested in a sissy bar. I don't think I've ever asked about one on this or any other forum.
He is well & truly gone now.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
"
He asked me if I was still interested in a sissy bar. I don't think I've ever asked about one on this or any other forum.
He is well & truly gone now.
Can we call them "sissy bars" anymore?...yes I know its origins non-offensive (IMHO)....
But things are offensive if someone finds them offensive...no general "pub-test" on that one....
Sorry forum OP

·
Super Moderator
17,305 Posts
I've always preferred the term "passenger backrest support" if only because it is more descriptive of what it actually does.
And I do have one that I can attach to my GoldWing if someone is going to sit on its back seat without the trunk in place. It used to be on the bike whenever the trunk wasn't but since I added the sidecar I haven't bothered. But I've had it since before I ever heard of the internet so it was obvious that the message asking if I was still interested in one was spam.

·
Super Moderator
17,305 Posts
I've mentioned this before: A bike forum I used to be on years ago had a PC filter that turned petcock into "petrooster".

BTW: Isn't "sissy bar" another term for an effeminate drinking etablishment?

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
In respect to CXPHreak and the purpose of this thread....no response from me to #47....:D

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,070 Posts
Watch jason023parker in this thread:

·
Registered
11,070 Posts
Keep an eye on new member Scotty1111. With a one word initial post, he fits the MO.

·
Registered
11,070 Posts
Watch dennisjames149 in this post:
He's been here a couple weeks, but is only post is "Hi" in a "looking for" thread.

·
Registered
11,070 Posts
I sent an IM warning to the member looking for the part in that thread. I imagine he's heard from Dennis by now.

·
Super Moderator
23,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Dennis has some dirty IPs so he's been moved on.

Multiple IPs aren't uncommon and I think generated by things like wifi and VPN so not especially sus in itself. Dirty is another matter on IP, email and username.

Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Dennis has some dirty IPs so he's been moved on.

Multiple IPs aren't uncommon and I think generated by things like wifi and VPN so not especially sus in itself. Dirty is another matter on IP, email and username.

Thanks for the heads up.
Your point onVPNs is spot on......
I had a brief subscription to a VPN, but found many astute suppliers would have software that would block a sale if the IP didnt match the address......same applied to local bank access....turning it on and off became a pain.....
Sorry for the digression

·
Super Moderator
23,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Not really a digression.

And you have confirmed my thoughts on multiple IPs..

No one ever taught me to do this and I'm still learning after 5 years or so.

·
Super Moderator
17,305 Posts
What led you to conclude the IPs were "dirty"? I mostly look at where they are and don't really know a lot about the rest of the data.

VPNs aside, wouldn't the IP address change if someone was using a cellphone, laptop &c and accessed the forum from different places (like home and work or somewhere they were visiting or even a coffee shop with free Wi-Fi)? I figure it would be reasonable for the IP to move around within an area because of that but not jump to the other side of a continent or even another continent altogether on the same day.

·
Super Moderator
23,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
That's what I said, new IPs are generated through use of wifi and VPNs.

This is how you find out if they're dirty.

There are other resources but this is my favourite. It is also networked with various others.

You need to check the dates of the most recent entries as numbers are reassigned in an indeterminate period of time. This is why I sometimes leave somebody in the approval queue for a while. The IP is dirty but predating them joining the forum. If new entries appear they're gone.If not I let them in.

Our access to email addresses is restricted in this newest forum rendition but the same applies to emails and usernames.

Do not ban John Smith for having a million strikes on his username. :eek:

·
Super Moderator
17,305 Posts
OK, maybe I'm missing something. I entered dennisjames149 in that site and it shows 13 entries all with the same email address and none of the ISPs is flagged. The only thing I see that seems out of line is that 2 of them are UK and the rest are US. I even clicked each of the ISPs listed and nothing was flagged on any of their pages either.

Are these entries incidents of reported spamming, times that the name has been checked or something else altogther?

41 - 60 of 65 Posts