Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I drove up to St. Cloud to get my new used bike and the owner came out and said "Dude, it's making a valve noise now and it does not sound good....I need to find a motor or just sell it as a parts bike. It has the plastic saddlebags and trunk on it that are fairly nice overall, and with the fairings and rest of the bike in reasonable condition he wants to ask 600 for it as a parts bike.

I thanked him for his time, got back in my car with my daughter and drove home.

Now I have found a similar bike, 14,500 miles and the guy wants 750 for it but it needs a whole new front brake setup. Leaked all the fluid out he says....also the tank got rusted but he said he coated it with something, so I have no idea what it will look like when I go see this thing....

Any thoughts on the front brake?

Randy

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
I would think 4 hours and $100, would replace all the rubber parts in a front system. And I doubt you would even need to spend any, just a good cleanup, scrape out, and fluid change may be all that is necessary.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info Blue. He is leaving town and won't be back until next week so I have to wait to see the bike and evaluate it. Thanks to Greg I have a better idea what to look for....

any other sage advice would be greatly appreciated. I learned a long time ago to ask as many questions as my friends would tolerate....it seems there is always one more detail to know........

Randy

·
Registered
47 Posts
You might want to make sure there are no cracks in the lines. New lines would be a couple of dollars. Also the bleed screws may be corroded.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
When I first got my cx the brakes, top and bottom, had a congealed jelly in them.  It looked a little like fish egg bait, really nasty.  I took the mc and caliper apart and replaced the rubber pieces and also bought myself a steel line, so total cost was probably $100 in brake-related parts.  If it's only leaking fluid it may or may not be bad, worth a look.  As far as price, I can't really say, I'd look at Craigslist and ebay and see what it looks like an average price is.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys! I will keep that in mind when I visit the seller.......

Randy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts