Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Yes.. things like instrument lights/warning lights are plug and play..
Turn signals and ?headlights need resistors.
I got mine from superbright leds....mainly cause those instrument bulbs in the standard were a hassle to get to....
(www.superbrightleds.com)

Dont know how these headlights would affect MOT??

·
Super Moderator
5,800 Posts
Turn signals and ?headlights need resistors.
Is that true if you use an electronic flasher suitable for led bulbs?

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Is that true if you use an electronic flasher suitable for led bulbs?
No but will be required if using a led headlight bulb (vs headlight led assembly)...they are included on the site i linked to....they are a lil fit in module, and they sell the flasher units as well....tho the latter can be got off ebay for less....

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
18,698 Posts
Using resistors with LED turn signals instead of changing to an LED compatible flasher will work but it really isn't the right way to do it. All the resistors do is waste enough power to make a flasher designed for incandescent bulbs operate.
Besides, the proper flasher costs about the same and is easier to install.

I have no idea why you would think a resistor could be needed with an LED headlight.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Doug, do you have a link t the light. mines getting old.... thanks
Here is a link to the ones I purchased. I went with them based on high recommendations from many on the ADV forum. Technology changes so fast that there might be better options now. These light work just fine and seems to have the exact same beam pattern as the original.

·
Premium Member
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,263 Posts
Looks like a good option. Thanks, Doug.
Any clearance problems with the cooling fan? I suspect this would be an issue in a typical headlight bucket or the Standard's nacelle.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
It is a tight fit but it does fit without any modifications on my Silverwing Interstate. I will add that I do prefer the color of the halogen light but wanted a headlight that didn’t require so much power. The electrical plug on my bike looked like it had been overheated at one time. I don’t know if that happened when the previous owner had it or while I have owned it but having the led in there gives me peace of mind.

·
Premium Member
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,263 Posts
I'll check the headlight brightness on Nimbus when I pull her out of the shed in the spring, and consider that upgrade. I could check fitment to the others while I have it in hand.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
I have an led headlight in my silverwing and I didn’t add a resistor. Works just fine.
The OP and my answers were to do with Bulbs...not kits.....
My understanding is there can be some pulsating with no load R...the other is error on the dash on bulb monitors...but thats not applicable to these bikes...
Anyway thats what the manufacturer says at the link at #2.

·
Super Moderator
5,800 Posts
From the Superbriteleds web site;
Headlight LED load resistors prevent “bulb out” error messages from appearing on your motorcycle or dirt bike dashboard. This 6 ohm 50-watt load resistor compensates for the low power draw of an H4 LED bulb so that it can communicate properly with your bike's computer (or CAN Bus) system. The plug-and-play LED load resistor easily installs in line with your bike's factory bulb socket and your LED bulb. Price per load resistor.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
The OP and my answers were to do with Bulbs...not kits.....
My understanding is there can be some pulsating with no load R...the other is error on the dash on bulb monitors...but thats not applicable to these bikes...
Anyway thats what the manufacturer says at the link at #2.
My led headlight wasn’t a kit. I think you only need the resistor for the headlight on a modern bike, not our old twisted twins.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
18,698 Posts
So the electronics in newer bikes can prevent them from benefiting from the lower power consumption of LEDs? And you need to waste 2A (24W) to heat a resistor to compensate for poor design?
Sounds like a step backwards to me....

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
So the electronics in newer bikes can prevent them from benefiting from the lower power consumption of LEDs? And you need to waste 2A (24W) to heat a resistor to compensate for poor design?
Sounds like a step backwards to me....
I agree but can’t confirm as I don’t own a modern bike. I have been enjoying all of my old school bikes so much I don’t think I will have to worry about any requirements of a modern bike anytime soon.

·
Registered
Cx500 1978 engine probably later
35 Posts
Have you considered a new led sealed unit?
I had a bad reflector and the main beam could only just get past the fender before collapsing on the floor!
The new unit had the same lugs and indents as the original glass and reflector, just needed to remove the adjusting ring and outer ring and fit to new unit.
Perfect fit, not as deep, and no MOT worried as vehicles over 40 years old can be registered as historic and are then exempt - that's in UK.
Get a halo ring for a sidelight too.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
I got a pair of led H4 replacement bulbs off Amazon, much better light output (btighter) and no flickering at all, just plug and play.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts