Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I just took off my mufflers, and I love the look. Fits great with my build! But I dont love how loud it is... Australia is a bit strict on their volume rules, and I hate feeling like a doucher when Im cruising in the city. I had a thought the put baffles in straight pipes, and replacing the H box. Besides packing a CT110 mufler with kitchen scouring pads to pass a road worthy check, I have never modded an exhaust. So Id love to get a thought or two on it before I proceed!

Here is the idea... drawn in MS Paint.

(~45mm pipes, ~300mm long. With maybe 4x half circle plates welded into the inside of the pipe to act as baffles! The plates would go more than half way into the pipe, to make sure the exhaust had to worm its way around it a fair bit.

Do you guys think it would work? Would a 300m section with only 4x plates be enough baffle to make much a sound difference? Maybe more plates with holes drilled into them?

Thanks guys!!

cx500exhaustidea.png

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hello Taylor, welcome to the forum!

I too am playing with some exhaust ideas, I will be straight piping as well, so I'm considering a few options.

Mikes's baffle idea is ranking number one right meow..... "Baffle Inserts"

If you haven't used the search function of this site you should check it out, its a huge help as many members may have already tried what your attempting.

As for your idea, I don't see why it wouldn't work. You may have to play around with the number of plates you use to get your ideal sound, but hey thats half the fun!

Best of luck, Na-Zdrowie!
-Matt

·
Registered
184 Posts
If you put at least 3 full circle baffles with holes of different sizes and put a joining pipe to take the place of the H box, you will have your straight pipes with enough restriction and the advantage of high velocity exhaust flow and opposite cylinders helping with scavenging. The velocity and the two cylinders working together to suck exhaust gas out of the cylinders when the exhaust valves are open. This avoids power loss and carb problems. These bikes were a marvel of good engineering keeping that in mind you want to follow a path that does not negate that fact.

1980 CX 500 with modified exhaust

·
Registered
184 Posts
By the way the different sized holes interfere with the sound waves at different wave lengths this will help cut the noise and back fire.

1980 CX 500 Deluxe

1 - 4 of 4 Posts