Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will the Tripoli buffing compound remove the clear coat on my aluminum pieces or do I have to sand with high grit first? -A

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
The clear is extremely tough, to sand it off you'd have to start with a really coarse grit and considering all the little places you need to get to.

Good paint stripper + about 15 minutes and you're clean, should be obvious what's easiest.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I used a product called "Tal Strip."...its an Aircraft Aluminum Paint Stripper. NASTY stuff, but took the clear off instantly. Handle carefully if you use it, chemically resistant rubber gloves, face mask, NIOSH respirator, out-doors
it will save you HOURS of sanding and prep work.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
About any decent stripper seems to work on the Honda clear, however the nasty ones that contain methylene chloride listed on the back of the can as a base work a heck of a lot faster with less chances you'll have to give it a second coat.

Methylene Chloride is nasty stuff, you need skin protection and good ventilation (ie: outside) as base protection and I've always found that to be sufficient if I'm just doing a small part or two - you don't want to try and work too big of an area anyway. You just want to lay a thick coat on, there is no reason to try and work it in or anything else. It usually takes 10 - 15 minutes tops until it's all bubbled up and ready to be removed, watch carefully and test with a scrap piece of wood as you don't want it to dry back up or you've got an even harder mess to strip when you have to start over. Once it's softened everything up - but before it starts to dry up again - remove the stuff using a small nylon scrub brush and running water. (Warm and soapy is best)

If for some reason you didn't get it all the first time let the workpiece completely dry of all water before re-applying and getting the last of it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.