Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I bought a 81 CX500C with lots of parts, an extra motor, two sets of carbs and 2 titles for $150. One title is from a junk frame. My idea is to build a low-cost street tracker style bike. Both motors turned out to be bad; not worth fixing. I found a low-mileage motor locally for $150. I will be using the custom tank, bare metal sanded and clear coated. The project came with nice aftermarket gages and a good café seat. It looks like an abandoned project because the parts were bagged and tagged and the wiring is labeled. Thanks for looking. I will post more pictures.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Is it okay if I hate you? Because I'm going to have to drive 10 hours to get a CX project and pay twice as much for it...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You won't hate me now mekenzie. I have almost $1000 in this bike so far! i'm not sorry, I'm having fun with it. Started it up today. The first start is always a thrill; I will never get tired of it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
installed the bars, electric is all sorted out. front brake is froze up, I hope to fix that tommorow. a friend polished the valve covers.

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Man, Love the "High Bars" riding position...
I am building a Scrambler, similar stance... ;) (y)
they're wide too. 34" I can't ride those coffee-shop bikes anymore.

post some pictures of your project?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
this is why the front brake was stuck. I also broke off a screw trying to get the master cylinder cover off. I have one from a Kawasaki that should work.

·
Registered
89 Posts
they're wide too. 34" I can't ride those coffee-shop bikes anymore.

post some pictures of your project?
I have a full build thread here "80 Scrambler"
I switched to '82 FT500 braking.
Bolts right up, and has twin piston.
Bar-end-mirror to bar-end-mirror I am just barely under 34".
My DH MTB E-bike is similar, I love that width.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
my son has a shock press so he is going to remove the springs for powder coating. I have not had good luck painting springs. The weather here sucks. I installed the new grips today. I use hairspray. it makes the grip slide on and it dries to a weak adhesive so you can get them off without cutting. Messed up painting the number plates so back to sanding and priming. I'm ok with the dent in the tank; its just a rat!

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
my shocks came back from powdercoat today and the mufflers got delivered. hope to be riding next week!

·
Registered
628 Posts
The title of your thread is budget build but Yoshimura exhaust is a premium brand, did you score some cans cheap? Just curious, not busting chops.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The title of your thread is budget build but Yoshimura exhaust is a premium brand, did you score some cans cheap? Just curious, not busting chops.
I ordered those from ebay $68 each. when I received them they came with Yoshimura tags! So there knock-offs. sound pretty good.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I actually got it far enough today to take a ride around the yard. (no front brake and lights went out for some reason.) So tomorrow I install a front master cylinder from a Kawasaki EX250. I've used these before. They are cheap ($16 new) and work well for a single disc.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm calling my project done for now. Since I named my post "budget build" I suppose I should tell you how much it cost. It cost more than I thought it would, but then it always does. The part that helped a lot is that this bike was an abandoned project so lots of good stuff came with it. If you see it on the bike and it's not on the list, it was included in the sale. Thanks for everyone's passion and advice!

bike 150
header wrap 13
vinyl wrap 12
decals 18
exh gaskets 8
turn signals 17
oil filter 6
bars 35
master cyl 17
mufflers 142
lite switch 8
turn relay 25
starter 75
head gaskets 60
battery 40
dyno jet kit 50
ign coils 50
spark plugs 5
exh pipe adapters 60
grease 10
oil 15
anti freeze 9
misc. hardware 25
powder
coat 40paint 15grips 13
horn 6

$924

IMG_0463.JPG

·
Registered
20 Posts
I like how your did your exhaust and the gas tank! The bike looks great!!
How did you do your seat?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts