Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought an '81 CX500 that is in pretty good shape, but I know I need to go through it and make it safe and reliable.

I know I need to do a brake job

Fork seals

Wheel bearings

Replace all fluids

Cables

Plugs

But I would like suggestions on:

a. What else I should do

b. Where to get the parts

c. Where to get a shop manual

I don't need to re-store it, but want it reliable as a daily rider.

Thanks for any help you may have!

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
Welcome to the group. Please take a moment to update your profile to show your location (Portland Or?) and put your bike model and year in the signature line, that will help us help you.

If you look in the General Discussion section, you will find a thread called Quick Reference, and that has TONS of great information for you to get started on. Still, feel free to ask questions as you go along.

What kind of mileage do you have? Do you know any history of the machine from the PO (previous owner)? Give us as much as you know about it, and we can go from there.

If you have any mechanical skills, even somewhat limited, these are very easy bikes to work on, and there are a great group of helpful folks here. So after you peruse a bit, you will have a better idea where you stand.

If in fact you are in Portland, there are quite a few of us here, and there is a section in Travelling for us West Coasters. Maybe try to pop in there.

Take some pics and post them too. You can find how to do that in the QR as well.

p.s. There is a free downloadeable factory service manual in there as well.

Joel in the Couve

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks ramprat. I did the update to my profile and checked out the QR, finding some great info. Thanks for the advice and jump start. I'll get on the project now.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'd do a quick carb cleaning/tune-up first, especially before wheel bearings, cables etc. Make sure the engine runs and good charging, unless you know the very basics are okay. I'm not a fan of putting a bunch of money into a project and then discovering a large problem that would have changed my overall strategy (stator, seal, low compression, om-nom-nom cam chain or the like). Odds are its okay, but you'd want to find out now if possible.

Have fun,

Mark

Main fuse replacement and clean all electrical connections are some good things to add. Also the ignition wires diagnosis.

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
Good deal, CXPDX. I'll send you a PM so you have a way to contact me if you need some help. I am not able to do much physical wrenching, but can guide and advise a bit. Always good to have connections!

Good tip above, you want to make sure the Horse is running before you put the cart on it......well, maybe that was a stupid analogy....who would try to hook a cart to a running horse......

Joel in the Couve

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.