Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,



I purchased Larry's book, tools, and material. Sat in the garage yesterday and dug into the carb cleaning project I've been putting off.



I found some interesting things. The PO broke the idle adjustment screw off. This pic shows what I've got left to work with.







I guess I'll be drilling it out and finding a new one some where. Any suggestions?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
100 Posts
I'd be wary drilling it. They shouldn't be in tight,but as a precaution use diesel or penetrating oil as corrosion can lock em up, and gently tap undone with a centre punch or sharp pin and small hammer. You may also be able to hacksaw a slot across the top and use a screwdriver. If this doesn't work you may drill and use a screw remover, but only small ones.



If you can get it out check for bits of rubber o'ring in the hole as 6 out of 6 carbs I've checked have had perished rubber in them.



The new screws are fairly easy to get, but you need the spring, washer and o'ring with them too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,282 Posts
Just take a Dremel with a thin cutoff disk in it and slot the top of the screw. Even if you get a bit into the tower, it won't hurt anything. Then take a flat bladed screwdriver that fits the slot, tap the blade into the slot gently, and turn the screw out.



If you are really industrious, you can silver solder a new end on the screw. Just find a thumb screw and line things up and solder together.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
15,416 Posts
Yeah don't drill it. Just cut a slot and hunt up a screwdriver. Even if you ended up slotting the casing a bit it wouldn't hurt things. With a drill your best bet would be going left handed and hoping it back out while trying not to eat any of the threads out of the hole.



Might be crude but even a hacksaw should be able to get that out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice Blue Fox. I ended up cutting across the top with a Dremel cutoff bit. I cut just deep enough to get a good bite with a wide blade screwdriver. It cut into the casting some but was minor. The carbs are cleaned and back on the bike. I'll post more about the rebuild later.



Thanks for the tips!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,618 Posts
I have the same issue with both of my carbs on '82 GL500. I tried the dremel tool/screwdriver thing with no luck. Also tried a small screw extractor with no luck. Now all I have is a mess and a serious fear of trying to drill and re-tap. It still runs but I wish I could adjust as needed.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top