Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I purchased a 1981 Gl500 when removing the radiator to paint it I noticed the fan was in pieces. I ordered a replacement but am now trying to take the old off from the shaft and am having a hard time. It was full of grime and dirt and strangely spider sacks that I removed with engine cleaner but using pliers and anything else I can use to try and pry it out it will not budge. Is there an easy way I am missing? The only thing I have managed to do us tear into the cheap metallic look center piece. I already received the replacement, unfortunately I read about the electric conversion a little late so I will wait on that until this one is about to give. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Hi, I purchased a 1981 Gl500 when removing the radiator to paint it I noticed the fan was in pieces. I ordered a replacement but am now trying to take the old off from the shaft and am having a hard time. It was full of grime and dirt and strangely spider sacks that I removed with engine cleaner but using pliers and anything else I can use to try and pry it out it will not budge. Is there an easy way I am missing? The only thing I have managed to do us tear into the cheap metallic look center piece. I already received the replacement, unfortunately I read about the electric conversion a little late so I will wait on that until this one is about to give. Any suggestions?
hi and welcome.spend a few minutes to update your signiture,include your bikes details and your location.

to remove your fan,do not use a puller.buy a bolt

Fan puller bolt.

M14 x 1.5 about 2 inches long

this threads into the fan and pushes off the crank

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Rooben as SB says a bolt is the best option

I use a wheel bolt from a Merc Van

I have considered drilling along the alloy boss to weaken it

but theres a danger of damaging the tapered face on the end of the camshaft

which may not be desireable if you want use the std fan again

DONT use heat !!

this will probably destroy the oil seals in the housing behind it

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got the piece off thanks guys. I was unable to find that size bolt at neither lowes or home depot. After struggling to yank it more I read a post here that someone used the shaft off the wheel to remove it, having the rear wheel off already I screwed it in and it popped off!! Thanks guys. I did have to remove the front wheel because the shaft is somewhat long.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts