Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1982 Honda Silverwing GL500i
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need a new right side foot peg assembly and a piece that goes over the front tire that would hold the forks together to prevent wobbling for a gl500i. Anyone have anything compatible?

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
GL500 front fender has a relatively light duty steel brace under it. If that is not what you are looking for, any other brace would be aftermarket, which sometimes come up for sale used. The GL 650 came stock with a real forkbrace. Which will not fit on the GL500.

·
Super Moderator
5,873 Posts
IIRC repairing crash damage.

·
Super Moderator
5,873 Posts
I thought that was what he was looking for. Shipping the brace part would be cheaper than shipping a front fender.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I could use foot peg assembly, specifically right side but both wouldn't be terrible, and as far as brace for the forks go I just don't want the fender, I'm going for a cafe with the bike, I'm waiting on a few parts before I chop the back, doing a full fluid change today but again I don't want the fender, I just want some sort of crossmember that will do the same job as the fender without the painted
plastic covering the top of the wheel

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
18,925 Posts
I thought you needed this bike as every day transportation. Fenders are there for a reason and if you will remove it you will regret it every time it rains.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It is everyday for now, but winter is creeping along, I live in Maine. It's unrealistic that once it's finished it'll be a daily. I've been looking for a daily bike during the days this one will be out of commission.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It is everyday for now, but winter is creeping along, I live in Maine. It's unrealistic that once it's finished it'll be a daily. I've been looking for a daily bike during the days this one will be out of commission.
and I go for my permit test soon for a regular vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
18,925 Posts
What do you mean by "regular vehicle"? If you mean cars & light trucks, they may be more common than bikes but they are no more "regular". And they are usually more expensive to operate & maintain.

FWIW, the machine in my avatar pic is what I drive in the winter (I have another for the summer). I drove it back & forth to work (+ nearly everywhere else I went) for the last 10 years before I retired and had other sidecar outfits before it (& a trike for a couple of years) since '87 and it is still my every day transportation when there is snow on the ground. I think I averaged about a day per winter that the weather kept me from using it.
I used to be on 2 wheels in the warm half of the year and 3 in the cool half until I decided some of the roads I didn't like taking a 2 wheeler on had better scenery than the paved ones and got a sidecar for the summer bike too.

·
Premium Member
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,452 Posts
In Maine, you're going to want the fender, unless this is just for parking in front of bars on sunny weekends.

·
Premium Member
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,452 Posts
and I go for my permit test soon for a regular vehicle.
So, you don't have your driver's license yet, but your CX is your everyday rider? How does that work?
Before you turn your working motorcycle into unusable yard art, get your license, get your motorcycle endorsement, and get to know the machine.

Reactions: Sidecar Bob

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nice job making assumptions, in Maine all you need is a 2 day course and Maine issues a motorcycles only license, you clearly knew the state, would've been nice if you thought a little before typing that. It's a GL500i, I know the machine, I'm licensed to operate it and have been for quite some time now...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nice job making assumptions, in Maine all you need is a 2 day course and Maine issues a motorcycles only license, you clearly knew the state, would've been nice if you thought a little before typing that. It's a GL500i, I know the machine, I'm licensed to operate it and have been for quite some time now...
Not trying to be rude but that just wasn't a very smart response man.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts