Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I'm a new member and this is my first post. This is also my first bike and my first attempt at cleaning out a carburetor which pisses me off because I should have been more careful taking it apart.
One of the adjustment screws was bent and when I turned it the top broke off inside the holes. I think it might be called the idle screw.[ Auto part Engine Fuel line Vehicle Automotive engine part

I bought a carb supply kit on ebay that has a replacement screw that is the same, but I just can't get the old one out. I can't get a set of pliers in there because it broke down too low. I tried to put some jb weld and glue the screw top back just enough to unthread it but it didn't work. The screw is just too small. Has anyone run into this or have any advice?

Also, I had read that Larry makes a great carb book. Can someone please send me a link on where to buy the book? Cheers,

-Mark

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
When I tore my carbs apart to rebuild the PO stripped the jets to hell. I just used a screw extractor on them (careful when drilling) and it worked fine. And yes the carb book is a huge help. Especially if its your first plunge into the carb world.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I doubt if an easy-out will work for you and you could damage the carb body--If it were me I would drill out and retap the thread-If this is beyond you then a machine shop can help,at a price.I think you will find Larry's book explains all of this as it is a common fault.-WK

·
Registered
240 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys. that gives me a good excuse to look into buying some more tools. having a pro do it might be the safe bet though.

and i just ordered the book, the link worked fine.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for sending that link ed z. partzilla looks like they have pretty much everything.

·
Registered
205 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Jaman. I was able to use my dremel tool to make a slot just wide enough to get a screwdriver to grip it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts