Honda CX 500 Forum banner

Broken bolt in the engine block

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Sidecar Bob 
#1 ·
When I bought my CX, full restore job, I found a broken bolt at the bottom left, where the radiator and fan shround etc bolt to the motor. It looks like a shank with a thread on both ends. One end bolts into the motor and the other takes an nut to fix the rad and fan.

This bolt has sheared flush with the motor and the rest of the threaded end is now stuck in the engine block.

Has anybody got any experience with this one. Should i just use an easy out to remove? And where do i get a new one, or do I just replace with some broker rod/all thread rod??

TIA

#2 ·
I'm not sure which stud you are referring to, do you have any pictures? If you don't have a picture can you find the stud in question on a parts fiche on a site such as Partzilla?

#6 ·
The motor is off at the paint shop for a touch up so can't get photos right now, but I'll try get one soon
I think Anto's talking about a No 5
which fits over the fixed studs on the lower holes and removable bolts on the heads
The studs are 10x90 according to cmsnl and I think might be 1.25mm pitch too?
Best get a proper HT steel stud as 'all thread' studding is usually mild steel
and not really suitable

Yeah ok, thanks all, so the studs are M10 fine pitch thread 1.25mm, ok so yes stud passes through the hanger bracket etc through one of the holes marked 10 on the spec drawing, i believe its the bottom left, the top 2 are bolts if i remember right, yes i will call honda and have a rwplacement ready, and easy out the broken end and happy days
The rad should bolt to the engine hanger but I think the fan shroud on early models is attached with the studs that attach the engine to the hanger. If it is one of those studs (a stud is like a bolt with no head but they often have different threds at each end) that is broken off you definitely need to replace it ASAP and you should be able to get a replacement from your local Honda dealer.

BTW: Your local Honda Dealer's website should also have the blowup parts drawings that you can look at to figure out which part is which and what they are called.
Yeah i will call honda dealers tomorrow and order a new one thanks

#3 ·
The rad should bolt to the engine hanger but I think the fan shroud on early models is attached with the studs that attach the engine to the hanger. If it is one of those studs (a stud is like a bolt with no head but they often have different threds at each end) that is broken off you definitely need to replace it ASAP and you should be able to get a replacement from your local Honda dealer.

BTW: Your local Honda Dealer's website should also have the blowup parts drawings that you can look at to figure out which part is which and what they are called.

#4 ·
Those studs are lockited in the block once you drill out the stud for your easyout heat the block to 450f to melt the locktite then unscrew stud, best of luck. Gerard

Reactions: GLBlinded
#5 ·
I think Anto's talking about a No 5
which fits over the fixed studs on the lower holes and removable bolts on the heads
The studs are 10x90 according to cmsnl and I think might be 1.25mm pitch too?
Best get a proper HT steel stud as 'all thread' studding is usually mild steel
and not really suitable

#7 ·
I would advise getting it back from the paint shop and fixing this before it is painted so that the paint in that area isn't damaged when you heat it up to soften the thread locker.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.