Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Drill a small hole from outside lined up with clip then small pin punch to unseat clip. Soak clip with penatrating oil first.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Drill a small hole from outside lined up with clip then small pin punch to unseat clip. Soak clip with penatrating oil first.
Thanks for the reply. Do you think I should drill the hole near the ends or towards the center of what remains of the clip?

·
Super Moderator
13,462 Posts
I would have said to try getting a hooked tool under the end of the clip from the end because that wouldn't leave anything that will show when you are done but it is an iffy proposition (IF you can find a tool to fit, IF you can get it under the end of the ring and IF you don't mess up the groove in the process).

Gerard's idea, on the other hand, would leave you with a hole but if you drill the smallest hole possible at the end of the ring where the hole will be least conspicuous and fill the hole with epoxy and buff it smooth afterward it might not be noticeable.

·
Super Moderator
13,462 Posts
Maybe. I have a "Hook & Pick" set that has one that might be able to get in there. Thinking on this, I'd probably try that first and if it didn't look like it would work without damaging the groove I'd drill the hole.

·
Registered
24,143 Posts
harbor freight has this cheap orange handle set of picks the has a bent one and a round kind of one
plus 2 others i have been able to use the round one to get inder the edge of it then the hook one to pull
it out enough to get a small screwdriver under it and get the clip out
these

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Have you soaked the clip with penatrating oil? Also tap the clip to break it loose from the fork leg, clips tend to get bonded to the aluninum by corroisin.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Dental pick maybe?
Funny you should ask that. I remember taking this picture just before sitting down in the dentist's chair, root canal IIRC. Maybe I can borrow a few:

You know, I recall him telling me that his office was being remodeled and that that was why the procedure needed to be performed in his basement. And I think my shirt was tucked into my pants when I sat down and not so when I came to! OMG! (It's a Seinfeld reference! Funny, right? Sure it is. OK.) Seriously, I think I did not soak long enough before making my attempt on this one, the other one coming out relatively easily. The ends squeezed inward so I assumed it was free all around. Got the end out of the groove and slipped a fine dental pick behind the clip then started to pry from behind and under and eventually got the above results. I think if it is stuck in the groove it is unlikely to come out and maybe needs to be free enough to spin in the groove before attempting to remove. Soaking now. Definitely will try the picks again but not liking my chances. The bottom of the groove on the fork measures almost exactly where the top of the clip is so if I drill I'm planning on drilling into the groove. I'm thinking that might expose the top of the clip and allow a pick to get behind it:

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Soaked in PB Blaster for 2 days, Soaked in CLR for about 10 minutes then resumed prying on the ends to no avail. I was able to get the clip to spin in the groove. I tapped along its top using a pointed pick and a punch. Then I took a 1 1/2" piece of PVC and banged it on top of the clip. So the clip turns, but after quite a few hours of picking and prying I'm convinced I can't get it that way. I drilled a 5/64 hole in the groove and the bottom of the hole is right on top of the clip but not much I can do with that. Made a punch mark where I think I'm going to drill next. A hole there is going to leave me a hair below the bottom of the clip but I think that will be OK:

My hope is to be able to push behind the clip and start it out of the groove. Any suggestions as to what to push it with? Anyone think it would be helpful to tap a small hole and use a screw to force the clip inward?

·
Super Moderator
13,462 Posts
I'd try drilling in the groove but at a slight angle downward so it comes out on the ring. But I'd try using something on one end of the ring that broke at an angle to keep it from turning while I tried to pry the end that broke off square first.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got it out but needed to drill the hole. A friend and I tried to pick it out for another hour or so and gave up trying. Once the hole was drilled my friend pushed a straight pick through it and the back of the clip almost immediately moved out of the groove. He ended up moving the clip out of the groove from its back to the ends by placing objects behind it along the way:

Here it's completely out of the groove. He placed another hook underneath, pulled up and when the shrapnel settled the clip was out. Here's what it looked like after it was out compared to when I started. Appears to be quite a bit of rust in the groove. The oily stuff is from soaking with PB blaster:

Pick through hole, quite a few scrapes, mars and gouges. These might have been minimized had the hole been more aligned with the end of the clip than the middle of it when the pick was pushed through. The pick was ground to fit:

Plan is to smooth it all out to ensure no damage to new seal upon installation. Holes look easy to fill. Made the mistake of forgetting that a couple of weeks ago I had installed the hex bolt at the bottom of the fork finger tight during disassembly. Somewhere along the line my memory flickered on the scene and the tube etc. came out after a few more tugs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts