Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One main issue i've noticed is how underpowered the headlight seems... i've tried adjusting the headlight, but when I get it to where it seems to shine further down the road, the brights seem to go off into space. is there an after-market headlight option for these bikes? I would normally just think of adding driving lights, but as I had to take the busted up crash bars off it, I really don't have anywhere to mount them and I really don't want to chance killing my battery anyway.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Here's the site for a firm I used for an H4 halogen unit (lens/bulb)for my '80 CX500: www.candlepowerinc.com

Huge improvement over the stock headlight setup. I don't recall the price exactly but I think it was around $30 US four years ago.

Hoppy

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome! thx man! any idea which one I need for the GL650i? i've found the stock part number but for life of me can't find size, and that site only lists the motorcycle bulbs as 5 3/4 inch, 6 3/8 inch, or 7 inch.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Is this a ,"Sealed Beam" unit or does it have a separate H4 type bulb?

.... not sure who the question is for but mine is 7", not sealed beam.... it's a separate H4 bulb. Don't know if the 7" applies to Russ' bike. Again... mine is 1980 CX500D bucket.

Hoppy

·
Registered
8,422 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Russ,

Get your ruler and measure the diameter of the headlight.

well that'd be the smart thing, wouldn't it? :p sorry, was at work when I asked. couldn't get out to the bike to check it.

From the looks of the parts diagram it's sealed beam. i'll get out and measure it before I head to work tonight.

·
Registered
889 Posts
A good high quality sealed beam unit would be effective and probably cheapest in the short run.

If you can track down a modern multi-reflector unit with replaceable bulbs, you will spend more money, but get a better result.

·
Registered
152 Posts
The GL650i doesn't use a seald beam lamp. It has a headlight assembly with a replaceable 55/60w H4 light bulb inside it. The same one used in most cars. I bought a replacement off the shelf at WalMart when my low beam went out. I guess you could go to a different gas like xenon or a higher wattage for more light.

To remove the h4 lamp remove the headlight adjuster knob by taking the phillips set screw on the side all the way out. Pull off the adjuster knob. then remove the 17mm nut on the stem sticking through the fairing that the adjuster knob came off of. There will also be a lock washer and a flat washer that will fall off. Now you can pull the headlight assembly straight out of the front of the fairing. On the back of the headlight assembly there will be a rubber boot that easily pulls off. No you can disconnect the wire harness plug from the bulb. Then to get the bulb out you need to unhook the retaining spring. The H4 bulb can now be pulled from the assembly.

When replacing the bulb make sure you don't handle the glass part with your fingers. I've heard that if you get fingerprints on it it may crack when it gets up to temperature.

·
Registered
10 Posts
when mine went out...Instead of paying the hundred or so dollars to get a new bulb, I went to O'Reilly Auto Parts and bought a seal beam for a car that was the same wattage and plugged that in....works great for me and only cost me about $20.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Dude, thanks a million. I had bought a new Ultrastar bulb only to discovered that my reflector had flaked off the inside coating. Honda new replacements are about $75 but I can pick up one of these Candlepower reflectors much, much cheaper.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Dude, thanks a million. I had bought a new Ultrastar bulb only to discovered that my reflector had flaked off the inside coating. Honda new replacements are about $75 but I can pick up one of these Candlepower reflectors much, much cheaper.
Just a note for those head lamps that appear hazy on the inside, I used a few drops of dish soap, hot water inside the lens and reflector, along with a cotton cloth dropped down the hole, shake it up swirl it around, use a wire to push the rag into the "corners" till it looks clean, rinse with really HOT water till all the soap is out. The use of hot water heats up the lens and helps it to dry spot free on the inside. Place it face down on top of the water heater or in the oven with a gas pilot light to dry. This will make your 30 year old light shine like new. But make sure all the moisture is out before you re assemble.

Rusty

·
Registered
16 Posts
FWIW, anytime I replace my H4 bulb, I used the one that said "for off road use only" as it's 100 watts on high and 50 watts on low. This makes it illegal/legal and does wonders for seeing down the road at night too! Because of how bright it is on high, cars are less likely to make a left turn in front of you too. And, if the idiot in the car in front of you doesn't have their headlights on when they should, your 100 watt high beam will make it so they can see, avoiding an accident in front of you and them. That has happened to me where the drunk in the Benz in front of me swore in court his headlight was on, when he didn't have any lights on at all! Yes, he got three tickets for all of it to. He got a DUI, no headlights, and improper driving as he was all over the road. I told his wife that if it hadn't been for my headlight shining through his window, he'd of never made it home. Another motorist followed me, following him so there was the testimony of 2 independent witnesses that convicted him in court twice. He lost both times. Brighter is always better. Most cops don't have the equipment to check your bulb anyway to see how bright it is. I'd rather have a ticket and be seen, than no ticket and not being seen, wouldn't you?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Have you considered an HID replacement?

I have this kit on my Concours.

http://www.vvme.com/hid-headlights/...n-hid-kit/standard-h4-3-9003-bi-xenon-hid-kit

Draws only 35 watts (vs 60 watts for the OEM H4), makes 3 times more light, and lasts 10 times longer. (order the 4300K color temperature)

The link above is a car kit, so it has two complete bulb/ballast sets. Keep the second as a spare, or split the cost with a friend.

There is no comparison between a standard halogen and an HID.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.