Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was riding today when i noticed that my breather hose was discharging a large amount of white gunk, when i stopped it was smoking as well. I took the hose off and looked inside to find it filled with white gunk. (pictures below)

Also I filled up my radiator with water this morning before i went on my ride because it was a little low and after a few minutes of riding i notices a decent bit of water dripping out of my left exhaust(im running straight pipes) im not sure if that is relevant but i was a bit confused by that as well.

This was my first long ride after the bike sat for a few weeks while i was sorting out a replacement CDI box.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! Photo Aug 02, 9 48 04 PM.jpg Photo Aug 02, 9 48 13 PM.jpg Photo Aug 02, 9 48 41 PM.jpg

·
Registered
891 Posts
water on tailpipes is most likely just condensation, stuff in breather hose could be condensation and a little bit of oil coming out the breather tubes.
I am sure Murray will know for sure.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thats what i was hoping for the tailpipes. As far as the breather hose is there anything i should do or should i just ride it for a bit longer and see if it clears up?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is hot, the last couple days have been a bit colder. But overall it's hot. Any ideas what the problem could be?

·
Super Moderator
21,125 Posts
Unless weather related... and I don't think it is... I would expect this to be either a fubared mechanical seal with a blocked weep hole or given the water coming from your exhaust more than likely a head gasket,

Check your sparkplugs. I wouldn't be surprised if one looks steam cleaned.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, i replaced the mechanical seal about 2 months ago and made sure to leave the weep hole unblocked. I will check the spark plugs and see what they look like. Thank you.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I don't think I have ever owned a vehicle that didn't get a little bit of moisture from the tail pipe.. If it stops after you have it good
and warmed up I think its completely normal. Metal creates condensation when cooling which is a large part of why exhausts rust out.
Most cx owners I have talked to say its not uncommon for a little oil to get out the breather tube.. add a little moisture and you get....

If coolant I think you would be able to tell. Check your oil, hows it look.. Not sure what difference it makes but the East Coast is also
pretty humid, lots of temperature change...

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
The "white gunk" is likely a mixture of water and oil finding its way into the breather tube. Add to this "water" coming from the exhaust in Georgia in the summer as "condensate" (unlikely). Add in the water being added to the radiator..................

I suspect you may have a gasket that has failed allowing coolant into the crankcase or cylinder.

Check your oil for milky and you may need to run a compression check. I think you are in for some diagnostics.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I had an old beater auto that had the same symptom years ago - blown gasket allowing antifreeze to mix with the oil.

·
Registered
891 Posts
He checked his oil, its normal
He went through a couple cooler/wet days and now back to hot and humid
Recently changed his mech seal and cleaned the weep hole.

I still think this is condensation. Google "milky fluid from breather tube" and you will get tons of results, all motorcycle of this exact thing happening.
I agree he should watch his coolant and oil for a bit just to be safe but this isn't completely unheard of and most of time is harmless..
Not everything is always the worst possible situation. I even know people that this has happened to on a CX and it just went away.
If he pulls his valve covers and there is a lot of white in there ide start going over more stuff.

Edit:
Condensation in a motor is normal it just happens.. once the motor gets hot it burns it out. If you do lots of very short trips you might
not get the motor hot enough to remove all of it and you can start seeing stuff like this. Its a good idea once in a while go run your bike
on a good long fun ride and get it up to a good operating temperature and let the motor burn it off.

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
I saw this white gunk sometimes on the 710-caps from car engines.
If the oil is not milky, everything is okay.

...and don't forget to clean the little reservoir for the condensat under the air filter. ....and clean or replace that round foam piece/plate.
.....if it is not already composted or rotted.

Thickness of the foam ~~~ 5 to 7 mm. (Don't take that Neoprene foam off of Your diving suit :D)

·
Registered
120 Posts
This morning i worked on the bike. Sealed some exhaust leaks, checked the plugs, adjusted the valves, and while disconnecting the breather hose from the bottle thing i realised the white gunk inside the tube.
It surprised me, because i never seen it before. To the touch it felt like oil mixed with water. We have some seriously cold weather lately, with temperatures dropping below 20 F, and i try to run the bike to warm it up at least once a week.
I think it is just condensation mixed with oil. Inside of the air filter box is clean, engine runs, and looks perfect. Oil is clean.
I just run some wire through the pipe, and attached the cloth to the other end to clean it.
Hopefully the weather will get kinder, and will run the bike proper on some spring trip to warm it up, and burn this crap out.

·
Super Moderator
21,125 Posts
Warming yopur bike up without taking it for a good ride to truly heat it up for a while under those sort of weather conditions will cause this so it's likely you don't have a problem.

Keep an eye on it though.

The bike probably just needs a good run.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
There are several pipes that come down from the Air-filter/Oil vapour recycling box under the rear of the swinging arm.Check they are not blocked or if plugged remove the plugs and drain them.Every Spring I flush my Air-box with boiling water from a kettle,with the filter removed after squishing with some washing up liquid and dish brush and with pipe plugs removed.Also if you are in a cold-clammy place then you need to go for a good,"Hot" ride to get the bike really happy once you have done the above.

PS
These rads are really old technology and retain a lot of crap/crud.It's worth doing a flush from time-to-time so click here,
CX500 GL500 650 Global ? View topic - Unknown Coolant Drop / Mech Seal Replacement

·
Registered
43 Posts
I think you'll find that the white stuff and water from the exhaust are both symptoms of short rides especially in conditions of high humidity.

The problem is that the engine never gets properly warmed up so the condensation (a normal part of combustion) never gets burned off.

Clean out the white stuff as best you can and try to get in a ride of an hour or more once per month.

·
Registered
24,209 Posts
the condensation in real cold weather is normal it does not always happen from a "cold " engine

the rocker covers can get so cold at speed in real cold weather that the warm moist air pumping around in the motor

can condense inside the rockers and head surface and cause this

it used to happen a lot up in canda in the cold

1 - 20 of 20 Posts