Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it a good thing to do? If it is done, do you need to replace the standard plugs with resistive types? What would the part number be for the resistive type plug?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just replaced everything with brass rod and left out the resistors and ran non resister plugs. Works great and bike pulls haaard.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, here is what I found...

Things look pretty cooked, corroded, and zorched.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One thing I found fascinating was the pronounced carbon tracking on the right resistor...just a solid black line. One thing to note about the Brass Mod, and its not in every one of the posts is the benefit of having the resistors in there. Here is an excerpt from the old forum. Though right now all i have are the 2.170" long brass rods, spring, and some new standard non-resistive NGK plugs, I will reduce the brass rods and pick up some new resistors becuase of the interferance that can occur with the CDI system.

Where can I get some new resistors, and what are their values?

From the old forum...(thanks Shep
)

Ideally if removing the resistors from the plug caps you should change to plugs with integral resistors.

reving the resistors altogether doesnt seem to have any adverse effects from what I've seen - but the reason for the resistor

is to slow down the front edge of the spark -

this cuts down the radio interference -

but you say - i dont have a radio and if it causes noise for the cages next to me - who cares .

BUT

the generated RF noise can find its way back into the sensor coils of the ignition system - and cause misfiring as a result.

your right cylinder firing could cause the left to go off at the wrong time etc -

There is filtering on the inputs of the CDI unit that cuts a lot of it out, not to sure one the TAI versions as its all sealed up.

something to think about - they are there for a reason -

other option is to replace with resistive leads but they are a nuisance to get to connect to the spikes properly -

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will say that having clean parts in there did make the bike 'excited for the next spark' it seemed to smooth out immensely. (even though I still have a few tuning issues

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
The resistor plug caps are old technology.The 1980s were a time of engineering changes in automotive design.Mechanical fans on engines were starting to be replaced by the more efficient and safer Thermostatically controlled electric fans(Even Honda fitted them to the later models) and of course Spark plug design moved on e.g Resistors in the Plugs themselves Designated by an"R" in the Plug specs/name.

There's less to go wrong/corrode in a none resistor plug cap and integrated park plug resistor set-up and of course many people's machines these two components may well be original and over 30 years old.Same goes for the coils.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
...so the resistor Spark Plugs will work fine? are there any reservations in going with these? I did the brass mod as mentioned to the dims you called out of 2.170"...It would seem a waste to not use the brass now.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
...so the resistor Spark Plugs will work fine? are there any reservations in going with these? I did the brass mod as mentioned to the dims you called out of 2.170"...It would seem a waste to not use the brass now.

If they are in working condition and correct resistance then no problem

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If they are in working condition and correct resistance then no problem
I guess my question is more or less are the resistive style plugs prone to problems more so than the actual resistors in the plug caps? It seems a solid chunck of brass, with resistive plugs may be the better way to go when as you eluded to earlier, the stock set up is cause for concern when considering corrosion.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Where can one find some brass rod?

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts
Where can one find some brass rod?

Any real hardware store. Probably in the welding supplies metal area.

·
Registered
250 Posts
All, since I have an '79 500 Std with a new Ignitech and orig stator, I understand that I still need the resistors--Yes?

I can get brass rod- no problem

Not sure I saw an answer to Rick's question ----Where can I get some new resistors, and what are their values?

So far, I have no problem but I still have the orig set of wires, coils, etc

Please advise.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Thanks Shep,

So I will cut a new brass rod for the length of the orig+ resistor--that= 2.170" long brass rods--yes.

OR did I miss read the earlier posts above?

And replace the plugs.

NOTE: I currently running on orig set (48K miles). I just want to be prepare in casae I have some downtime.

Thanks Again

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Thanks Shep,

So I will cut a new brass rod for the length of the orig+ resistor--that= 2.170" long brass rods--yes.

OR did I miss read the earlier posts above?

And replace the plugs.

NOTE: I currently running on orig set (48K miles). I just want to be prepare in casae I have some downtime.

Thanks Again

Here you go,

http://globalcxglvtwins.hostingdelivered.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=84

Yes you are replacing the resistor so have to allow for it not being there

·
Registered
250 Posts
Shep, thanks

Yes I was reading that thread in the quick reference after I sent the note. Sorry I did not look first. Still going thru the list for several repairs.

Thanks Again.

·
Registered
187 Posts
What diameter of rod do you need?

·
Registered
979 Posts
How do I remove the plug wire from the cap? Havent seen how in any of the threads

1 - 20 of 28 Posts