Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I was gifted a 1980 CX500 Custom for my birthday in 2012, It is my first bike, but i love it already! I never planned on doing much to it, but then I joined this forum and everything changed!

Plans:
-Triple bypass
-GL1000 wheel conversion
-Rear disk conversion (drilled rotor)
-GL1000 fork conversion
-Dual front disk/caliper rebuild (drilled rotors)
-Deluxe tank conversion
-Dual headlight
-Ignitech and G8 stator conversion
-E-Fan conversion
-CBR rear sets
-New shift linkage
-Hard mount the saddle bags to the frame
-Re-position rear shocks
-Paint engine black
-Valve covers, cluch cover, radiator shroud, intake manifolds, and final drive will all be polished
-Make a new seat and cover
-Simplify wiring and controls
-Clubman bars
-Rebuild and Re-jet the carbs (polish tops and float bowls, but paint bodies black)
-New silencers
-Add crash bars

Most of the parts I've accrued up to this point.
IMG_0126.JPG

The bike had one owner before me, but he didn't ride it much as there was only 9,236 miles on the clock, so I figured it would be a solid commuter.

This is the day I brought it home
2013-04-01 11.16.07.jpg
2013-04-01 11.16.33.jpg

I first got rid of the fairing, but I didn't have a headlight, so I removed the one from the fairing and zip-tied it to the forks! Lol!

2013-04-20 18.50.19.jpg
2013-04-20 18.51.02.jpg

The seat height was a little on the high side, so I made one to get me through the summer, I also lowered the forks and rear shocks to fit me a bit better

IMG_0007.JPG
IMG_0010.JPG

Then I got my Buell X1 Lightning, also for free! So I then made the decision to start my build and began the tear down.

2013-10-22 13.48.47.jpg
Started getting cold hear in North Dakota, so I built a small work bench for my basement and brought the engine down there to disassemble.
IMG_0023.JPG
IMG_0026.JPG
IMG_0037.JPG

Started to open it up and found a bit of a surprise!

IMG_0036.JPG
IMG_0042.JPG

But the rest of the inside looked good

Attachments

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Started to modify the frame to accept the new tank and remount the shocks, so I can suck my saddle bags in and mount them to the frame

IMG_0050.JPG
IMG_0052.JPG
IMG_0051.JPG
IMG_0075.JPG
IMG_0074.JPG

I've also been sandblasting a lot of parts

IMG_0101.JPG
IMG_0117.JPG
IMG_0121.JPG
IMG_0123.JPG
IMG_0129[1].JPG
IMG_0130[1].JPG
IMG_0131[1].JPG

Still have a few parts to blast still

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Started my triple bypass

IMG_0099.JPG
IMG_0109.JPG
IMG_0114.JPG

Just waiting on my new cam chain from David Silver spares and I still have to bore my rear cover to fit the Yamaha mechanical seal.

Thats all for now, Na-Zdrowie!
-Matt

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
still haven't received my cam chain yet, so I did a bit of modification to the frame.

I wanted to mount my shocks like this...
2014-01-04 19.47.22.jpg

But after doing a bit of math, the numbers didn't agree with the angle I was trying to achieve, so I will mount the top of the shocks to the inside of the seat rails, but I had to cut a bit out of the frame to allow enough travel for the shocks.

IMG_0140.JPG
IMG_0142.JPG

I will try to close the holes tonight at work, along with tacking my shock mounts to find my desired ride height, Ill post pics tonight.

Na-Zdrowie!
-Matt

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Didn't get to fill the frame holes, the in-laws surprised us last minute, so I've been entertaining...

But I received a few parts including my cam chain, so its time to get the show on the road this weekend!

IMG_0150.JPG

Also got my spokes from Buchanan's (Thanks Mike for referring them) and they look great!

I've never laced a wheel before, so I'm hoping I don't kock it up too bad.

IMG_0151.JPG

I also laser cut a set of mock up brackets for my saddle bags, but their a bit thick as I used 0.375 inch material.

I will use 0.25 inch A715 grade 50 mild steel for my final brackets.

IMG_0149.JPG

We also just installed a new Faro Edge arm at work and it has a 3D Laser scanner attachment! This means endless possibilities for making parts!:D

Na-Zdrowie!
-Matt

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was able to sneak into the shop today to tidy up a few bits on the frame. Didn't get many pic's of the process, cuz my camera was near dead and kept turning off after snapping one shot.

Here's a shot of my new toy at work!
IMG_0164.JPG
This mixed with our VMC and EDM machines, endless possibilities!

Not my first time welding, but I don't do it often...
Welded my new upper shock mounts just under my seat on the inside of the frame rails
Also filled some holes. (Try not to laugh too hard at my welds, they might crack! Lol!)

IMG_0147.JPG

I made my filler pieces out of 14 gauge mild steel

IMG_0157.JPG

I just cut a couple strips 1.15" x 6.1" and shaped it to the contour on the belt sander and formed the ends with a hammer

IMG_0158.JPG
IMG_0161.JPG
I didn't finish the left side cuz I ran out of welding gas, so that will have to wait till tomorrow.

After I cleaned up some of my welds

IMG_0167.JPG
IMG_0171.JPG

I made this as a shock mount for my stock shocks, I wanted the letters to be readable, but I feel they need to be more "Brash"

IMG_0172.JPG

I cant use that style anymore, as I ordered shocks with a clevis bottom mount, so I will revise it, but keep the name in it

IMG_0175.JPG

Just to give you an idea of the new shock angle and position

IMG_0174.JPG

I will try to make way on the engine tomorrow

Na-Zdrowie!
-Matt

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys, it's been a blast working on it!

I would love to go for a ride sometime Holyman, I don't know any other CX/GL500 riders in my area, so that would be a bit of a treat!

This was a bit of my inspiration...
cafebagger1.jpg
cafebagger2.jpg

But I will not be using a fairing.

Na-Zdrowie!
-Matt

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I also received a few packages yesterday

I got my crash bars, there not the Hondaline ones that I wanted, but they will do... (Until one of you are ready to let go of yours! ;) Let me know!)

IMG_0176[1].JPG

Also got my Ducati fan for my E-Fan conversion!

IMG_0177[1].JPG

Na-Zdrowie!
-Matt

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got a few things done,

I don't know what the stock GL1000 triple trees use as a handle bar clamp, but I didn't get one with my front end, so I modified the stock CX bar clamp

I think it looks pretty good, but I would like another one to take another crack at it!

IMG_0181[1].JPG
IMG_0182[1].JPG
IMG_0183[1].JPG
IMG_0184[1].JPG
IMG_0185[1].JPG

Unfortunately my handlebars will cover up the Honda emblem, but I still like it!

Na-Zdrowie!
-Matt

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Got a few things done,

I don't know what the stock GL1000 triple trees use as a handle bar clamp, but I didn't get one with my front end, so I modified the stock CX bar clamp

I think it looks pretty good, but I would like another one to take another crack at it!

Unfortunately my handlebars will cover up the Honda emblem, but I still like it!

Na-Zdrowie!
-Matt
Beautiful work!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks gents for the comments! I'm newly married and man was the Ole' Lady vexed when I replaced my laptops background of our wedding photo two months later with this...
cafebagger 3.png
I told her it was for inspiration, but that pissed her off even more! Lol!

Na-Zdrowie!
-Matt

1 - 20 of 61 Posts