Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Been watching the forum for the last week or so... and thought it was about time I joined. (so much good info here).

I just got a 80' cx500 deluxe for the small price of a plumbing job and (what started out as) a $6.90 cent piece of pipe.

Although the job turned into a little more than I bargained for, it was well worth it!

The bike had been sitting outside in the rain for who knows how long... It obviously hasn't been ridden in ages.

After I got the plumbing completed we went outside and managed to get it started after several tries. It sounded good at idle, but once you gave it a little throttle it bogged down like it was starving for fuel or perhaps the choke was stuck closed.

After I got it home I wasn't able to get it started at all.

First thing I did was pull the tank off and clean out the old gas (very yellow). Then realized that the choke cable was welded to it's sheathing, out came the trusty wd-40.

Still no fire, so after boning up on all the carburetor info on this forum, I pulled the carb and went to town on it with carb cleaner, air compressor, and a 2 day pine-sol soaking.

The air cut off diaphragm on the main carb was totally shot, and I'm missing a tiny needle valve washer. (not sure if I threw it out with the used carb cleaner in the bucket, or it got blown into a far corner of the shop with my compressor) in the words of Homer Simpson... DOH!!

So anyways, that's where I'm sitting now... waiting for the acv part, and hopefully I can get another washer from the Fastenal shop in town.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I would/have install a inline fuel filter to assist your now clean carbs from getting any other

further debris from the old tank in the future. Cheap investment to save future woes.

Good Luck

BTW are you into metal?... detection for fun or work?

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
warm welcome todd

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the warm greetings all,

The inline filter will go on before I push the button, for sure... Yesterday I saw a cheap lawnmower filter at Autozone (about 2" long x 1" wide), does anyone foresee a problem with one of those?

I thought about pulling the filter out of the tank, and leaving it out... any thoughts? Why the heck would they put a filter where you can't service it? *wondering out loud*

Hey Trickster.. the detecting I do is for fun. Very relaxing to me, and I've found some really cool things over the last 10 years. The old spots are always the funnest... you just never know what that next signal will be.

I've owned 3 detectors in the past... 'Whites Electronics' all the way for me, they're an excellent company.

BTW... If I click on the reply button below someones post, do I just add more text in the same box? Or should I just use the 'fast reply' down below? not sure...

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Fast reply gives you a fresh post and the reply below someone elses post shows their post as a quote in "your" reply.

Geez I hope that made sense.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fast reply gives you a fresh post and the reply below someone elses post shows their post as a quote in "your" reply.

Geez I hope that made sense.

Makes perfect sense... Thanks.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Welcome to the group.  Keep us updated on your progress, hope you get it running soon.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Welcome to our happy little home!

As for being a "brand spankin' newbie"..... you sure know a lot of things to do right off the bat for a newbie!!

·
Super Moderator
11,462 Posts
Welcome, Todd, from another west coaster. Check out our own little "West Coast Riders" section in the "Traveling Friends" portion and say hi!

If you do a search for inline filters, you will probably find several threads, some also have some photos showing various ways of setting them up. You will probably be fine with the one you found. I am out of time, or I'd hunt my photo down here.

Good luck on getting her running again, they are quite resilient little beasts!

Joel in the Couve

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Welcome to our happy little home!

As for being a "brand spankin' newbie"..... you sure know a lot of things to do right off the bat for a newbie!!

Thanks DakotaMK... My father has taught me well over the years.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Welcome, Todd, from another west coaster. Check out our own little "West Coast Riders" section in the "Traveling Friends" portion and say hi!

If you do a search for inline filters, you will probably find several threads, some also have some photos showing various ways of setting them up. You will probably be fine with the one you found. I am out of time, or I'd hunt my photo down here.

Good luck on getting her running again, they are quite resilient little beasts!

Joel in the Couve

Will do Joel, thanks.

BTW - Nice looking bikes all... eventually I'll get a picture of mine up there, right now it's in a bare bones state and looking dirty and ugly as hell as I'm trying to get it back into running order. definitely needs some spit shine and polish.

Edit: Ok... maybe "ugly" was a little harsh *hope she didn't hear me* . But it certainly needs some TLC

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Will do Joel, thanks.

BTW - Nice looking bikes all... eventually I'll get a picture of mine up there, right now it's in a bare bones state and looking dirty and ugly as hell as I'm trying to get it back into running order. definitely needs some spit shine and polish.

Edit: Ok... maybe "ugly" was a little harsh *hope she didn't hear me* . But it certainly needs some TLC

It's OK.... I think I told mine she was ugly at first, too. Otherwise perfect though.. lol.. (I had to make it up somehow!)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

You know what Dakota... the more I see the pictures of your bike, the more I like that see through, bare bones seat of yours.

Some people on here might have a different opinion... but I really like it! Pretty cool lookin' if you ask me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts