The CX65 Custom is TAI,,,

·
Registered
8,422 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
after all the problems i have had this year with the bike i would like to way my options for new coils vs. 30 yr old ones is why i am wondering all depends on price in the end

·
Registered
8,422 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
my only question is with them only listing smaller cc eng. will there be enough of a spark or will it be hot enough for higher cc. am not that knowledgeable in these areas

·
Registered
762 Posts
Your bike uses the same coils as the GL500's.

There's a ton of good used ones out there on ebay and other places.
true, I have a known good used set from a 650c that he could have for $10 plus shipping...

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
do the cdi guys have you to thank for ignitech? if so props to ya nice work

No.The Ignitech units were first bought by some members of the UK CX owners club several years ago.I think Trev H was one of the 1st to use one.

As for the coils they should be ok but for the price take a gamble.

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
...These look to have the two wires required for the TAI ignition.Dave F can chime in as he may have some more info about this possibility

They have two wires as needed but I have no idea if they would work properly on our bikes. Best case, they may be a good replacement part. Worst case, they may fry the ignition modules.

Given the abundance of good used coils, it's not worth taking the chance IMO.

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
They have two wires as needed but I have no idea if they would work properly on our bikes. Best case, they may be a good replacement part. Worst case, they may fry the ignition modules.

Given the abundance of good used coils, it's not worth taking the chance IMO.

With the cost of the ignition/sparker units for the TAI engines and lack of availability tjis may be prudent.

Just to add.I'm surprised some one has not found a cheap and plentiful Sparker replacement for the TAI ignition units.Not having one of these engines I've never looked into it Dave?

·
Registered
583 Posts
I'm surprised that nobody has fitted a gm HEI ignition module. It seems like it would be worth a shot, and plentiful!

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
I'm surprised some one has not found a cheap and plentiful Sparker replacement for the TAI ignition units. Not having one of these engines I've never looked into it

There has been no need to look for a suitable replacement. Failures of the Honda units are extremely rare and, like coils, there is an abundant supply of good used ones.

I disassembled one a while back and was very impressed with the design and construction. It uses surface mount components mounted to a ceramic hybrid substrate - state of the art for the time, and much improved over the CDI.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Actually a guy did manage to use a GM HEI Module on a CX650.

The link is here.

I'm planning on this mod at some point but still haven't nailed down the best coil(s) to use yet.
Ah, Snazzy!

The GM HEI is a pretty good platform. People have been hacking them onto all sorts of unsupported platforms for years. They do have some built in advance curve as well (Althought it is probably not close to optimized for this engine.)

Nice to know that it can be done.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.