Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on the Motofaction site today and saw a section about drilling your brake rotors. Has anyone done this to their CX/GL? If so, what are your findings of before/after the drilling?

Thanks

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Murray

Do you use a template & a drill press or use a vertical mill? Obviously a mill would be best but can it be done on a drill press with acceptable results? When you say chamfered properly, what does properly mean (i am familiar with chamfering)?

Regards

·
Registered
23,989 Posts
I use a template center punch the holes in the template use a awesome

Cobalt drill bit in the drill press then champher them

The fronts I just did were 40 holes each so 80 plus 160 champering

Rear disc has 48 plus 96 champher then resurface in the lathe

And paint the center on the back

Nuts it's a disease

All for a 550 honzuki I'm doing

·
Super Moderator
19,707 Posts
My 500C has drilled rotors which were drilled for me by a friend {as were the thingys}.

My experience is much like Murrays. There is a minor improvement in braking overall compared to before they were drilled.

But the real bonus comes in the wet with braking nearly 100% improved.

Before the drilling wet braking would initially give a short groaning noise and little retardation before clearing themselves so wet braking had to be anticipated more.

You can give a light application of braking to 'wipe' the disc before braking but this does little good if something totally unexpected happens.

Wet panic braking is safer in fact. When the brakes don't initially work there is a tendency to grab more brake and then there's a tendency to lock on the wet road when they dry themselves.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Any chance of getting a duplicate of your template?
Dan

·
Registered
23,989 Posts
dan i will talk to jc and to mike meyers

jc to host them and mike to split them

ll the templates i have collected over the years

print out on large format paper so 17 x 22 there is a way that can be split so it can be printed in 2 halves on a regular printer

it you can use 17x22 i will send you one in pdf format

we did this once in the past and i posted some of these i have many patterns i use

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Hi, Murray,
I can take the PDF to work with me and get it printed on the large format (I work for Canon).
Dan
p.s. I posted looking for another GL500I seat pan. Only got one wanting to sell me an entire front set in good condition. I f you get a chance, see if you can find just the pan or a seat that's not worth restoring. I'll be happy to pay the shipping cost + what you think it's worth.

·
Registered
23,989 Posts
here are some

i just sent a bunch more to jc to post to this i will transfer all my templates to this

if they are not the exact scale for your rotor diameter they can be rescaled in photoshop

or just fudged

i print mine on cardstock then tape and center punch on card stock i can reuse them many times

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Thanks, Murray. I think i'd like to try drilling a rotor for my '81 Custom as an experiment. If I like the results, moving on to the GL's duals.
Dan

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had mine done at Truedisk LLC ~$230USD shipped back to me. Or you could try these templates ...at your own risk ;->
Rogue,

I assume the hole diameter is 8mm? :p

·
Registered
20 Posts
8mm sounds about right....I wouldn't go any bigger. As Murray suggested you might want to camphor all holes when drilled. Good luck

·
Registered
23,989 Posts
i would not use the above templates with 8mm holes i will have to do a calculation on them when i have a minute but my gut says from the layout if done in 8mm holes its out of spec and could result in heat cracking as the holes are to close to each other looks skimpy to me
i will do the math when i have time tonight

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the heads up on the layout.

The only reason i brought up the hole diameter question in the first place is the drawing only had the diameter symbol with an 8 beside it and no indication of what kind of units they were.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I try to err on the side of safety, wouldn't call that chicken. (y)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts