Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace the brake reservoir on my 82 deluxe will any one work for 7/8th bars ? Smaller is better for looks. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Doug

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I'm not a pro or anything, but I'm pretty sure you can use any from the 7/8ths, but if it's too small you might not have enough brake fluid, that's just my slightly educated guess

·
Registered
17 Posts
I recently needed to repair or replace the master cylinder on my GL650. Found a complete unit from a GL1500 on ebay. Fits perfectly, works, \ and blends in the scenery! Happy with it. Two places for wires to connect-one for stop light, the other cruise contron. Simply let the cruse blank and it's even out of sight!

Big Bird

·
Registered
192 Posts
Most of the early Japanese bike master cylinders had the bore size stamped on the body. 1/2" and 5/8" seem to be the most common size but the CX single master cylinder is smaller. If you want the hydraulic ratios to remain the same then this size must match the new master cylinder. 7/8" handlebars are used on most bikes with the exception of Harley D and some cruisers (1") so most master cylinders will fit the bars but may not offer the correct hydraulic advantage (ratio)

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Would I feel a difference in the travel of the brake lever?

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Larger MC = less pulling distance but a little more pressure involved, smaller MC means more pulling distance and less pressure involved.

If in doubt go with a slightly larger bore MC.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.