Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 questions relating to brakes.

1. Are the brake pads the same on the GL500 and the GL500I?

2. If I change the caliper on a GL500 to a GL500I, do I need to change the master cylinder as well?

Thanks,

Stubby

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
You can change the calipers and try the brakes to see if they are to your liking with your present MC.It may or may not have a tad more play in the lever but some people like a little play in the lever,I do_One of my CX uses CB900 brake calipers and the lever doesn't have much play,my other one is stock and as a little more give which I like and both are within the strict legal requirements we have over here.

YMMV

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Don't know about you guys but if my lever was soft when applied I'd have to do something about that!

Wisconsin CX.....this thing between David and I is an ongoing conversation about the new SS brake lines vs. the rubber ones....it's been going on from thread to thread since last June

It's NOT that there's ANYTHING wrong with the rubber brake lines OR the SS ones....I just happen to prefer the feel of the rubber vs. the SS which is "inheritantly" a tad softer to the feel and is NORMAL for the rubber.

That's all...no issues with my brakes, so nothing NEEDS to be done.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks David and Shep. I put a fairing on one of our bikes and I am considering going to dual calipers. I am going to wait until we get the GL500I from crash and see how much of a difference it makes.

Stubby

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This may seem like a silly question, but can I just add a brake rotor and caliper from another bike? Or is the front rim on the Interstate different than the standard?

Thanks.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Wisconsin CX.....this thing between David and I is an ongoing conversation about the new SS brake lines vs. the rubber ones....it's been going on from thread to thread since last June

It's NOT that there's ANYTHING wrong with the rubber brake lines OR the SS ones....I just happen to prefer the feel of the rubber vs. the SS which is "inheritantly" a tad softer to the feel and is NORMAL for the rubber.

That's all...no issues with my brakes, so nothing NEEDS to be done.

Never had stainless on a CX but I have a nice set of JDAs on my 1100...I love em. The 1100 weighs more and obviously is faster, the stainless lines give me a little more secure feeling when bringing it down from hyper speed to posted limits

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.