Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
standard cx500 1980
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all, trouble wiv rear brake peddle, when i got the dike (standard cx 1980) it had a motad two into one on it, now that i'v fitted a new standard exhaust system to it the rear brake peddle is fouling with the balance box. something is a miss somewhere got a feeling its the peddle, the thing is what is it made of, can i have a go at bending it out a bit without it snapping off ? . any info will help thanx.

·
Registered
1983 cx650c
1,308 Posts
The rear brake pedal is forged steel, very tough material. Possibly the exhaust can be shifted over or the joints aren't completely inserted? To bend the pedal without breaking something it should be removed, clamped in a vice and heated with welding torch until glowing, bent to clear the obstacles, and reinstalled. Inspect everything for other possible problems before attempting to bend it. It discolors the chrome and probably weakens the pedal by heating to high temperature. Possibly could be bent slightly without heating but could damage something.

·
Super Moderator
5,659 Posts
I bent a brake pedal, to clear my sidecar subframe, using a hydraulic pipe bender, no heat. Seems to be OK.

Reactions: bike kid

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Heating and bending as per #3 has always worked for me when a drop has pushed the pedal up against the engine casting on other bikes...

To fit my 2 into 1 i had to re-orientate the pedal and fit an extra stop bolt......your solution might be rotating the pedal on the splines and making sure you have a standard stop bolt fitted

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
18,407 Posts
Note the punch marks in the shaft and the pedal arm in the pic above. It would not be surprising to find that someone has moved the pedal on the shaft at some point over the last 4 decades. There are also similar marks on the shaft and arm at brake plate (rear wheel) that should also be aligned.
Note also that if the brake has been adjusted to work with the marks misaligned you will need to re-adjust it once they are properly aligned.
I highly recommend reading the section of the FSM that covers this.

BTW: I corrected the thread's title ("peddle" means to sell something). It's up to you whether you fix the typos &c in the text of your post.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts