Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1982 Honda CX500 Custom
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this is in the wrong section but does anyone have a good source for replacement brake lines? I’ve done some google searches and have come up with mixed results. Honestly wondering if I could just make one for the bike going off the info I’ve found on here and motofaction.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,740 Posts
I've bought stainless braided brake lines for a few bikes over the years. The first time the only way was to go to a shop that catered to racers and buy the line by the foot and fittings to install myself. If I was doing it today measure the length with a tape measure and then talk to the parts guy at the local bike dealer and get him to order what I needed from one of the aftermarket suppliers.

·
Registered
1982 GL500 81 BMW R100 2010 HD E-GLIDE
699 Posts
I've bought stainless braided brake lines for a few bikes over the years. The first time the only way was to go to a shop that catered to racers and buy the line by the foot and fittings to install myself. If I was doing it today measure the length with a tape measure and then talk to the parts guy at the local bike dealer and get him to order what I needed from one of the aftermarket suppliers.
To be safe bring the old one with & tell him how much longer you need & how you measured.. You would be suprised how many ways there are to screw up.
Paul

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,454 Posts
It's like measuring handlebars. Everyone seems to do it differently.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,740 Posts
IIRC, I measured the length of hose between the fittings and bought the next size larger, figuring that a couple of inches extra would be easier to deal with than a couple of inches too short.

·
Registered
1982 GL500i
505 Posts
I had mine made at a local hydraulic-hose builder. He has metric hose & fittings since Japanese farm tractors are popular around here. I took my originals and he made brand new duplicates, fittings and all. I think the hoses were rated at 600 psi, but can't recall off hand.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts