Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 1980 cx500 and mt tail lights work but my brake lights dont.They did then allthe sudden nothing i changed all the fuses put the stock light back on and nothing i need some help plz

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
did you try checking the bulbs? theres a chance that they are 30 yrs old i would check them out and then report back the findings

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
try adjusting your rear brake light switch...or give it a shot of some lubricant

·
Super Moderator
15,404 Posts
Pull the spring on the left foot peg that control the brake light. If that doesn't work follow the wires up and make sure they have clean connections.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bulbs are new connections r clean both switches dont work thats wat i dont get the new brake light or the stock there is no differance how do i straight wire them or run new wires any help is greatly appriceiated thank you so very much

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
So - if I read this correctly - your brake lights were working - you changed them out for a new tailight or something - and now they don't work - even when you put the old one back on - is that right ?

If that is right - then you have a wire either not grounded or unplugged somewhere...

follow the wiring back from the brake/stop light -

do you have a small test light - to test for 12volt power?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i got power down the green and yellow wires to both switches i just cant figure it out they worked after i put on the new light then it just stopped my tail light is on though i'm so lost on it i'm hopeing to get it home today or tomorrow so i can go thruogh the wires again aghhhhhhh thnx for the help guys i'll keep you guys posted any other advice just post it or email me at [email protected] thnx again

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Could still be a ground, the brake light draws a lot more curent than the simple tail lamp.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
the green/yellow stripe wire is your current from the front & rear switch to the brake light..it then passes through the globe and returns via the green wire to ground... if you have power on the green/yellow side at the brake light...then you must have a bad earth or green wire...check it out...follow the green wire from the brake light bulb towards the front of the bike AND CLEAN ALL CONNECTIONS YOU FIND ALONG THE WAY..check for brake lights after you clean each one...

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I think the problem is solved - bad bulb........

ok why do you think that?? but any ways 9 out of 10 its an easy fix thats why i said check the bulbs first

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i did a isual check on th ebulb an dit looked good srry fellas got it fixed now on to bigger and better thing s like making my exaughst and then stripping her down for paint if anyone has a right side cover for a 1980 cx500c i'd love to get it i have turn signals and a new front rim ii'd be willing to turn loose of thnx for all the help srry again for the moment of stupidity

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.