Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The latest project bike had some really ugly brake fluid streaks on the lower right side of the fairing. Obviously a previous owner had an accident while filling the master cylinder.

After thoroughly cleaning the area and letting it dry, I tried heating the streaks with an electric heat gun. The results were very pleasing - the streaks went from being simply awful to barely noticeable.

The trick was to get it hot enough that the surface just barely started to melt. As the outermost surface began to flow the color turned black again.

Too much heat will cause the texture to be lost, so it is important to work slowly and gradually raise the temperature.

·
Registered
313 Posts
how's the temperature effect to the plastic ?

I know abs doesnt like to be repaired, and a cold snap can cause areas that weren't origionally molded together to sometimes crack...

woul be interested in seeing before and after pics

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Yup,

We need pics Dave, as i have the same problem on my fairing

Hopefully this year i will get my "Scruffy" GL500i up to your standards.........

All The Best........keith........

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Got yourself a rare black 1981 GL500I, eh? Nice technique figured out too.

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I didn't take any before photos but here are a couple of after ones.

This shot was taken without the flash.

This shot was taken with the flash.

I wish I had taken a before photo. Believe me, it was really ugly.

Got yourself a rare black 1981 GL500I, eh?...
Nothing that rare.
It's a 1983 GL650I.

It looks pretty good from more than ten feet away but up close many blemishes can be seen. It was assembled using parts selected for their imperfections. I wanted it this way because it is intended to be ridden in the real world - if it gets dinged up, no big deal.

The engine guards should look very familiar. They rode home with me from the Amish rally.

·
Registered
860 Posts
That looks like an excellent recovery.

I trust everything you say DaveF but the " trick was to get it hot enough that the surface just barely started to melt. As the outermost surface began to flow the color turned black again." kinda spooks me. I'll put it on the 'to do' list.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.