Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it ok to use brake cleaner to get all the grease and dirt off of my carbs while I have them taken apart?

Also, I noticed when I took out the idle jet on my right carb, there was no o-ring, just a washer. I that normal on a cx650? I guess I'll find out for sure when I get the other one taken apart....

·
Read Only
19 Posts
Is it ok to use brake cleaner to get all the grease and dirt off of my carbs while I have them taken apart?

Also, I noticed when I took out the idle jet on my right carb, there was no o-ring, just a washer. I that normal on a cx650? I guess I'll find out for sure when I get the other one taken apart....

Don't use brake cleaner on your carbs. Different chemicals. Use Carb cleaner.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts

o ring,yes,it probably is there stuck up inside.thin stiff wire with a hook on the end.youl find it

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Don't use any solvent unless you're 100% sure as to compatibility. Brake cleaner is based on various formulations and could harm parts.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Don't use brake cleaner on your carbs. Different chemicals. Use Carb cleaner.
Don't use carb cleaner on any rubber carb parts! Everything should be taken apart and only then use carb cleaner on the metal parts.

Better yet is get Larry's book and buy an ultrasonic cleaner. Harbor Freight did have it on sale, but I don't know if it still is. Then you will know that the carb has been cleaned properly.

The jets don't have any o-rings, but the idle mixture screw should have had an o-ring.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.