Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the front brakes on my GL500 were rubbing so I figured I would pull the caliper off and see what was going on. I haven't done this yet on the bike so I figured it would be nice to see how it worked. Well after getting the pads off, having to punch the pins through with a small punch (they should just slide out after the retainer is removed correct?)I tried to pull the cylinders out. Just so its known, the caliper was VERY dirty and the half centimeter of caliper that was exposed was beginning to rust. So i can't get the cylinders out. I'm afraid to take pliers to them. Any advice on how to proceed? i feel that with a good cleaning and a new set of oil seals and pads the unit should probably work, but i'm stumped as to how to proceed from here. Also do the rubber covers that are attatched to the caliper and mounting bracket serve any vital purpose, they are in rough shape.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I found this video quite good when I was rebuilding my rear caliper. I found the parts respecting the rubber boots and grommets quite helpful.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4K6sKLCGIs[/media]

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys the video and link were very helpful. i guess i will hook the system back up to the bike and try to get the pistons out that way. I found a rebuild kit on ebay that i think i might getEbayjust want to know if you guys think it looks right.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.