Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm guessing the answer to my question is yes, but I figured I would ask here before I look into finding one...Will the front brake controls (master cylinder) from a 1978 CX500 (round fluid reservoir) work with the front brake setup of a 1979 CX500? I like the look of the round reservoir better and I think the design would function better with the flat handlebars I'm putting on my bike. I'm not sure if anything changed in the design of the front brake system between the years...

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Ditto to what Kingston says.Also FYI Wemoto in the UK have the round type ones at a very reasonable price,

http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/Honda/CX_500_Z/78-79/

They are my favourite MCs used on the bikes because of the Screw top Reservoir.Simple great design.

My 10 penn'th.

·
Registered
273 Posts
+ One for the early type screw top MC.

Good to know that type is available,thanks Shep.

I had the devils own time loosening the four "Phillips"type screws on my '80 MC cover,was lucky to not strip out the heads.

I noticed that on MGR1s beautiful,original '78 that the cylinder appeared to be a separate plastic piece?

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
+ One for the early type screw top MC.

Good to know that type is available,thanks Shep.

I had the devils own time loosening the four "Phillips"type screws on my '80 MC cover,was lucky to not strip out the heads.

I noticed that on MGR1s beautiful,original '78 that the cylinder appeared to be a separate plastic piece?

I hate those Philips screws.I had to rust release them ages ago and use Copper grease on refit as they are prone to seizing as I have the four screw A type on my Red CX(Lazarus).

You are right about MGR's bike it has the original,"Z" type round reservoir with plastic MC cup.The ones @ Wemoto may be After market but look like a good close design.I've just checked and they no longer stock all the correctly related types to the models and years are selling those Black rounds ones as a,"One size Fits All" which in a way is good as they will work on all models AFAIK.

I've had all 3 original types.

Z type Round

B type 2 screw rectangular

A type 4 screw rectangular

I know also there are some good Universal MCs around as I searched for them and posted the US and UK links on the old forum and you can use many 2nd hand types of other motorcycles but if I'm going to pay good money I think I prefer new when it comes to brakes plus by the time you buy a rebuild kit you may as well have all brand new for about the same price.

A small caveat.I bought a set of Power-blade levers for one of my MCs(they have to match the MC type) so I don't know if or what one would fit the Wemoto MCs.Not an issue for most people as they don't even know about,"Power blade/Dogleg" levers,

http://www.bitzforbikes.co.uk/Front_Brake_Lever_(Black_Power_Blade_Lever)-ref-8113-155-96.html

1 - 6 of 6 Posts