Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello not sure if this is just a turbo issue or if it could also happen in a regular CX500, but when the bike starts it will idle steady for about 3 seconds before the idle starts to bounce up and down and when I ride it sown the road it has small bursts of backfire. Ive searched all over for some information on the topic but was unsuccessful. I am wondering if this is a valve timing problem or could it be something else? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Mika

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ill take a look at those when I get some time this weekend, I actually have a 3rd turbo that I have been using for a parts bike and I'll test the sensors on that bike as well to see of i get any different results.
Thanks,
Mika

·
Registered
718 Posts
If you look at the manual page : 24-2

Main causes of Poor idling / backfire :
- Fuel Pressure
- Bp Sensor
- Sparkplugs

Secondary causes of Poor idling / backfire :
- Fuel leak
- Fuel valve
- Fuel Filter
- Injectors
- T1 sensor
- Engine speed sensor
- Wire connectors
- Tubing
- ECU unit
- Throttle valve
etc etc :dontknow:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just looked at it a bit earlier and what I did was pull the plug with three yellow wires, to the stator I think, and that fixed it. I think what was happening was the stator (correct me if Im wrong) was sending the wrong voltages to run the bike e.g. the sensors. Because the boost gauge was also moving around. While this isnt a permanent fix the idle does jump to about 2000 where it was set at around 1000 (when the wires are connected). Im thinking maybe the stator went bad because all of the yellow wires got really hot, so my next choice would be to take the stator off of my "for parts" turbo and attempt to wire that one up.

Also an off topic question: the air box in the front of the bike that has the metal tube running to the turbo also has a rubber tube coming off of the right side down to a black cylinder with 3 rubber tubes coming off of it. Is that another air filter? What happens if it gets liquids in it?
Thanks,
Mika

·
Registered
718 Posts
Also an off topic question: the air box in the front of the bike that has the metal tube running to the turbo also has a rubber tube coming off of the right side down to a black cylinder with 3 rubber tubes coming off of it. Is that another air filter? What happens if it gets liquids in it?
Thanks,
Mika
That's part of the crankcase recirculation vent system, it always gets full of a mixture of water and oil. You should drain it once in a while.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts