Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys...not GL650 tracker build is sitting in the garage just waiting to be worked on. Instead of working on it I bought this CX500D. It was sitting for a long time and has a questionable story. I took a chance and got it going. Video posted below of that. Two questions.

1. I swapped the front wheel and brake caliper and master cylinder from antoher CX to the 81. Once brake pressure is applied it doesn't let go. It seems like it is binding/misaligned. Are there differences in calipers?

2. After starting it it smokes a little. I figure the rings are worn. Are there other possibilities of why it might smoke?

Thanks in advance for the help. Link to video is below.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
826 Posts
There is a return hole in the master cylinder that is not allowing the brake fluid to return. I did a brake hose and rebuild the master, brake piston, it did not stop that problem. I then learned that there is a smaller hole in the unit, the master, the piston passes when squeezing the leaver. On return it clears that hole and allows the fluid to return to the reserve. Mine is still all original 1981 system. Working fine. I have this bike since 2009.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
2. After starting it it smokes a little. I figure the rings are worn. Are there other possibilities of why it might smoke?
If the bike has sat for a long time some smoke on start up wouldn't be too unusual. If it is oil smoke the likely cause is oil seeping past the valve seals or the rings being seized. Rings might loosen up with a bit of use.

If it was water vapour smoke that could be due to condensation in the exhaust system.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I have one gl500 engine in stock that a friend was scraping the rest of the bike that we fired up and it had water vaper coming out from the exhaust. Pulled the plugs. The left cylinder has the same thing. A head gasket should be checked. Hope he does not have water vapor. Blue is not so bad. Mine did that, oil smoke. Had not been run in a long time. Oil changes, filter a couple of times. Been good since. More then ten years later.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Hi guys...not GL650 tracker build is sitting in the garage just waiting to be worked on. Instead of working on it I bought this CX500D. It was sitting for a long time and has a questionable story. I took a chance and got it going. Video posted below of that. Two questions.

1. I swapped the front wheel and brake caliper and master cylinder from antoher CX to the 81. Once brake pressure is applied it doesn't let go. It seems like it is binding/misaligned. Are there differences in calipers?

Thanks in advance for the help. Link to video is below.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
I like your I con. Three wheels. Hope it's not to fast !!!!!!:cool:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts