Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24,175 Posts
so after getting a note from a member that told me he is going to have to replace all his clutch bolts even

though he torqued them to the manual )i dont know which one) spec of 46-48 FOOT lbs

i have talked to jc and him and i and"we" are going to take the time to make a combined fastener torque chart that is easy to find here on the forum

can be searched by section and is accurate plus i am sure jc will put some cool magic into its interface for us

i am hoping we can do a point and click picture thing to find the bolt torque we want

so we need to gather info and could use verified accurate help fro 500s and 650s

here is my break down suggestion

NOTE all values must be from the honda service manual

any help would be appreciated but when adding a torque make sure you include the item and the bike type

FRONT END FRONT WHEELS

ENGINE

FRAME

SWING ARM

RUNNING GEAR REAR WHEELS

ACCESSORY ITEMS

MISSING VALUES

also there are some fastener that people say dont have a torque in the manual please post that here

and we will find and include them

if you see one we are missing please help out find it and post it

if anybody has a better way please go for it and give us a suggestion

i am going to work with jc at scanning in all the tables we can find and verify to start the party

ANY IDEAS

JC Edit: Discussion thread here:

http://cx500forum.com/forum/general-discussion/36574-bolt-torque-discussion-thread.html#post410479

·
Registered
24,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
me to but it did bring up the fact that we have the technology and knowledge to put a nice tool together to solve this

now the first thing we have to do with this i guess id put a place for discussions and a place to post to?

so we dont wind up with a useless article 29 pages back due to talking

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
Some torque values from our driver's manual. A good fellow in the german CX forum made this.
But the list is not complete.

Schraubendrehmomente_Motor.jpg

Some standard values:

Schraubendrehmomente_Motor_.jpg

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
This will add huge value to a forum brimming with abundant information.

My pebble in the pond will be to either standarize the names of all the parts to be torqued as per Honda FSM ( or better still give all the regional synonyms of the names in brackets , so all can understand which bolt or screw is which ) AND to standarize the unit values of torque to the metric Newton meters, Nm. ( with all other values in brackets ) :)

Hex ( Allen ) bolt, bottom slider, Fork tube = 15 to 25 Nm

·
Registered
851 Posts
My experience is that a lot of mistakes come from people who don't have an engineering background and assume torque applied pressure is revelant to bolt head size when in fact torque applied is related to shank thickness, thread pitch and material strength that is why the factory settings are important and take all of that into account.

·
Super Moderator
13,812 Posts
Other details such as p.179 HSM when torquing axle holders on front axle," Tighten the axle holders nuts starting with the forward nuts.(13-18 ft-lb) " To leave the gap in the rear.
Which should be accompanied by a note that the arrows on the axle holders should point forward.

·
Super Moderator
13,812 Posts
You know stuff like this is always like herding cats. It might have made better sense to start with one thread and after the info was posted there and discussed for a week or two extract that info into a locked sticky.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts