Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
It may be helpful to spend some time discussing the proper use of and the types and sizes of torque wrenches.
Also how to test the accuracy of the wrench. When to use a 1/4" drive and when to use a 3/8" drive torque wench.
We have some noobies on here and we need to help them as much as we can. Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Super Moderator
11,451 Posts
NIce work JC and Murray for getting this rolling. I have no true data to impart, but is it not true that for the standard bolts the torques are listed near the front of the FSM for non-specific items? Also, Trev makes a great point about what the torque is actually measuring.
And of course, it should go without saying that a fairly decent investment in a good torque wrench set (2 or 3 type/sizes) is mandatory to achieve any reasoned results. (Okie kind of beat me to this punch)

Joel in the Couve

p.s. we may want to merge the other thread or somehow delineate to keep one clear of the clutter mentioned by the original posts.

·
Super Moderator
20,601 Posts
This is a discussion thread for the main thread which should be a locked sticky. This thread will also need to be a sticky to stay with the main thread in quick reference. And eventually moved to quick reference. {This is general discussion ... at this point} But the threads will need to be kept together so info can readily be added or questions asked in future.

·
Super Moderator
3,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It may be helpful to spend some time discussing the proper use of and the types and sizes of torque wrenches.
Also how to test the accuracy of the wrench. When to use a 1/4" drive and when to use a 3/8" drive torque wench.
We have some noobies on here and we need to help them as much as we can. Just my 2 cents worth.
I have that in the works - just have to find the time to finalise it!

·
Super Moderator
13,812 Posts
As I mentioned where I posted the page from the GL500 FSM (included below) in the other thread, it is all in the FSM and in an easy format to use. I am uneasy that having it on the forum in the format it will probably end up in will discourage people from developing the habit of looking this information up in the book.

BTW: This was prompted by someone contacting Murray about breaking his M6 clutch bolts by torquing them to 46-48 Ft/Lb. At first I thought they might have gone by the head size instead of the shank size and used the spec for 10mm bolts but that doesn't match and then I wondered if they had misread one of the metric specs as Ft/Lb or maybe even an In/Lb spec but I don't see any number on the list in the GL500 FSM that even comes close to being able to be misread into 46-48 Ft/LB (I am assuming that the specs given in the rest of the manuals should be pretty close to those in the GL500 book). I would like to know which manual it came from.

Torque values GL500 FSM.jpg

·
Registered
967 Posts
I noted the torque values for the GL in the last post.
In the other topic, where the values are, there is also an attachment in German. The little that I could figure out, is that there are different values for the GL and the CX. For instance the Cylinder head value.

So my question is: where can I find the torque values for the CX, listed nicely together like above.. please?

·
Registered
967 Posts
I noted the torque values for the GL in the last post.
In the other topic, where the values are, there is also an attachment in German. The little that I could figure out, is that there are different values for the GL and the CX. For instance the Cylinder head value.

So my question is: where can I find the torque values for the CX, listed nicely together like above.. please?

·
Registered
967 Posts
Found it thanx.

in my FSM it is not converted to Nm, while the only torque wrench I can find is in Nm.

So I am now use to converting from Kgf m to Nm, so I should be ok.

Thanx!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts