Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any commonly known issues that would cause the bike to bog down while riding in the rain? The bike would only do 40-45mph @ 5K in 5th gear. My first thought was water in the carbs but I'm leaning towards more of an electrical issue. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
This was why several years ago I researched alternate cheap CDI coils,

http://globalcxglvtwins.hostingdelivered.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=335

So long as yours is a CDI engine.These coils do not work with the later Transistor Advanced Ignition bikes.Also I had to use RTV and now Shoe Goo on my rear wiring harness grommet area where the wires go into the rear of the engine.It was letting moisture from rising in the rain in.

Also new plug caps.

http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/Honda/CX_500_A/79-80/

These are none resistor types which should be used with Resistor Spark plugs,

NGK DR8 ES-L or Iridium DR8EIX

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Shep, Thanks for the quick response. A few follow-ups Q's:

1.) What's the chances that I did any permanent damage riding the bike home like that--30 minutes?

2.) Do you think I might be alright once things dry out as long as I keep her out of future rain conditions?

3.) Will the following work as a replacement?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/IGNI...orcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_4036wt_1015

4.) If so on the link below, how difficult is the replacement? Won't I need to splice the spark plug caps from the current ones onto the new?

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
1.) What's the chances that I did any permanent damage riding the bike home like that--30 minutes?

Little or none

2.) Do you think I might be alright once things dry out as long as I keep her out of future rain conditions?

Yes ish but it's problem that will get worse and bite you in the A** at some point.

3.) Will the following work as a replacement?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/IGNI...orcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_4036wt_1015

Yes if yours is a CDI engine.

4.) If so on the link below, how difficult is the replacement? Won't I need to splice the spark plug caps from the current ones onto the new?

No you don't have to splice but you usually have to chop a bit off the ends of the longer HT leads(The Thick ones) and I de soldered and re-used my Yellow and Pink LT wires(The thin ones) just to keep things the same.

It's not hard but you have to make a little strip/bracket extender.Quite easy if you have a vice and a drill or something to hold a strip of metal.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
I also remember someone who had removed the air dam across the thermostat area. This allowed rain/moisture to pass over the top of the engine and soak the coil areas. Might be something to check.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
HA!! I just did that--removed the air damn when I replaced the thermostat. It was torn so I cut the remaining rubber off the top. I guess that didn't help the situation. So how does a little moisture impact the coils? Because I must have road only for about 3 minutes in light rain and it started happening. With age do they crack somewhere and expose stuff that shouldn't be touched by water and short it out? All of this stuff is new to me. Before today the only coils I heard of were springs or something a snake does.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I had issues with old and then new spark plug caps in the wet. the new ones were cheap replacements. Using NGK OEM types in my mind is the best cure for problems, if the wiring, coils and other parts are sound.

Checking drain holes is good too. Also check for the HT leads rubbing on the tank or elsewhere, or if the HT leads have a loose coating. Water can build up in these. An easy fix is stripping the loose outer rubber coating as it causes more problems than it solves. Also check if you have the rubber flange that covers the spark plug cap where it goes into the rocker cover, if it's missing or not sealing properly this can also cause trouble.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Just FYI: Ny blue one behaved like yours for a couple of years. I don´t ride in rain much, but now and then it happens that I´m getting caught.

That bike was very sensitive for humidity - almost before I realized that we might get some rain it started to misbehave. Shut one pot off and ran so for a while - then at traffic lights or something like that, it used to get back on two. Then back to one again, a.s.o....

A couple of times I had it running on one for quite some while, maybe 30 miles or so. Heavy rain. It hasn´t done any harm to the engine at all. It´s the sweetest running one out of the four CX-es I own (also lowest ODO reading).

Once I tried another set of spark plugs, coils and CDI unit. Didn´t help much / at all.

This winter I tidied up the cable harness, which was rather bad - more separate cables than a harness, really. Also gave it another set of spark plug caps and coils.

I haven´t used it much this year, but at least once under conditions that would have had it lose on pot, last year. Not now, so I hope it´s cured. The air dam was there, but not in perfect condition - torn and out of shape. Same air dam as last year.

So I can´t tell what´ll help you, more telling that your engine ought to be fine.

Sture

·
Registered
82 Posts
I encased mine in an old tire truck tube - keeps it dry, prevents any contact with the tank or frame, was free, and resists the heat well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts