Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys.

This is gonna sound really familiar.

I am out riding and the bike runs sweet. Good throttle roll on, perfectly happy seeming, just grand.

The next day it runs fine through the lower RPM and as long as I am accelerating through the gears seems OK but once I start cruising and it comes up to temp well then anything over ~4500 or 5000 rpm and there is hesitation, surging, and bogging down. Generally only happy at lower RPM. If I open the throttle all the way it will eventually find its way up to speed but it takes forever!

OK I figure carbs need more attention. I rode the next day anyway and runs great! Everything is good. The next few times I ride it is a crap shoot. Today I noticed that if I let it get good and hot before turning on the E-Fan it ran much better (good and hot being 2/3 of the way up the scale or so). Also it has stalled twice now when coming down off a higher RPM and pulling in the clutch.

Today I tested the CDI resistances and they were all about 20 -30 Ohms high except 8-9 which was spot on.

This was my reference:

http://globalcxglvtwins.hostingdelivered.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=521

Then I saw here :

http://cx500forum.com/index.php?/topic/8649-feels-like-i-have-a-rev-limiter/

That Rick was saying to test the CDI output

"Disconnect the coils, remove the spark plugs from the cylinders, set multimeter to 200VDC, connect the multimeter "+" Lead to the CDI output, probe the multimeter lead to ground terminal on the battery. Ignition on, roll the bike over/hit the start button noting the highest voltages on the meter. These values will fluctuate, so just watch for the highest value.

"

Mine spiked up to about 200Vdc then quickly drifted down to ~50 Vdc each. I am not sure if my meter is averaging or not. To be honest I am used to having a Scope for these kinds of test. If it is averaging that # is probably OK if it is not averaging then they are ugly.

So the bottom line is I no longer think it is Carbs because they would misbehave more consistently. Do you agree that carbs would be more consistent?

Do you think I should investigate a CDI or an Ignitec?

I have not tested the Stator mostly because I have had crap luck finding the values I am looking for.

I just have not looked long enough yet.

***********Edit

Before this started I have:

New Coils and plugs. Pulled plugs and found a nice tan color.

I know one boot is cracked and I tapped it heavily. I have new plug boots on order.

No problems with the charging circuit or starting.

The left carb weeps some fuel but I am not sure why, yet.

I have been through the carbs three times or so and followed THE HOLY BOOK.

I used simple green and an ultra sonic cleaner. Soaked them overnight before after and during the ultrasonic treatment.

I might have missed something, I am barely human - just ask my ex-wife.

Just so y'all know what I have tried so far.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just going to throw in a quick suggestion. Had a problem with my bike recently when I would hit around 6-7 thousand rpm bike would start to chug and sputter, do the whole lose power thing. First thought was it was not getting enough fuel/carb issue. Got home checked under my seat and found the wire running from the right side coil to the cdi connects midway with a male female connector and it was loose. I assume that when it was at a certain rpm the vibration starting making a poor connection. Anyway re-crimped and taped and it ran fine again from that point. Just throwing it out there you never know.

Double checked the coil connections and they are good. I did not pack them with Noalox but I think I will.

I almost said conductive grease but don't want to start that again!

I am thinking the ingitech might be in my near future.

I just HATE to spend another $165 on this bike. I could have bought a good running bike for much less than I already have in it. With the ingitech I will be mightily close to $2000 in this thing.

I guess I have the comfort of knowing EVERY system on it has been gone though - except the forks.

I am still intimidated by the idea of tearing into them.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.