Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I'm new to this forum, I've got myself a 1980 CX500 Custom, nice bike I'm lovely it. But its started to bog down if I accelerate hard at around 5500rpm. I can get passed if I go slow, but if you go for it it just bogs. I notice this doesn't happen much when cold.

Any ideas out there, I've heard this could be the stator. I have done a few checks such as charging system, I got a reading of 14.5v and resistance check across the three yellow wires, where I got a reading of 0.02 when I set the multimeter on 2K Ohms, is this bad?

I've just downloaded a Fault Finding PDF concerning the charging system and stator, etc. which goes into a lot more detail, so I will try that tomorrow.

I know the air filter is pretty dirty and I have ordered a new one, would that make any difference?

If it is the stator, does any one know the process involved in replacing it. I know it's an engine out job, is this difficult? Would you buy an after-market stator or buy the Honda original? I see David Silver has both (but the Honda part includes rotor and pickup coils).

Thanks for you help.

Cheers

Curt

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
depending on the mileage - do the triple bypass, and you are good to go several yeasr before more maintenance.

so - it's engine out time - not hard - just fiddly, make sure you have all the bits available before pulling it down.

·
Super Moderator
23,713 Posts
It is almost certainly the high speed ignition coil failing in your stator as this almost always manifests itself around the 5000 RPM mark. Also, being able to nurse it past the bog down and kicking in once the motor is warm is also typical of this condition.

Stator replacement is not difficult if you are handy with a spanner, drop the motor, remove the coolant pump cover and impellor along with the gear shift, undo the rear case bolts and the stator will be in the rear cover held in by 3 bolts.

There will also be a little rewiring to do to mate the new stator to the existing pulser coils etc.

OR, you could buy an ignitech CDI unit and just replace the CDI unit. I haven't used one of these myself but it seems those who have have had no problems with them.

Do a search on the forum on stator failure and ignitechs and you should find all the info you need as this comes up quite regularly as an age related failure in these bikes.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for you replies guys, yes the more I read about this problem, the more it points to the stator.

So if the charging system is working fine (I guess this is the low voltage part of the stator) I can get hold of one of these CDI and that should supply the spark at all rev ranges.

And that means I don't need to change the stator?

I guess if the stator is not being used hard, it should last quite long just charging the battery?

I'll do a search on here for some more info on the ignitech.

Cheers

Curtis

·
Super Moderator
23,713 Posts
As long as it's still charging the battery the ignitech will sort you out. Also, if the charging side of the stator ever does fail the replacement unit without the CDI coils is quite a bit cheaper to buy.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's cool, I've just found their website and sent an email. It looks to be about 130 EUR, will need to put postage on top of that.

I guess the unit comes will on wires, connectors you need?

Sounds like it also improves starting, throttle response, etc.

Curt

·
Super Moderator
23,713 Posts
I think the unit comes with all connectors but from what I understand one is of dubious quality and is best replaced. No biggy, just an auto shop item.

There will be others on this forum that can tell you much more about this than I can but given time zones aren't online at the moment. I am in Oz, as is 81custom.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looking at Youtube it looks like the splice connector is the iffy one.

Looks pretty straight forward. Easier than taking the engine out.

My bikes a CX500 Custom 1980, and I live on the Kapiti Coast near Wellington.

Cheers

Curt

·
Registered
45 Posts
Heads up for all CX owners.

remember reading an article by Honda years ago about this very problem, turns out best way to stop it happening in the first place is to hard wire the stator (solder) the wires instead of having the standard block, it would appear that the stock block / any block will build up resistance and will eventualy give this problem.

Odie

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had similar problems with my 79. Bogged down at about 5,000rpm. I also had a problem with the bike not turning off. Bought the ignitech an everything works like it's supposed to. Quickest fix I have ever done on a bike too!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Guys

Well it's confirmed I did the full blown test and it's the stator, Charging system perfect but I'm reading less than 3 ohms which is bad apparently. So I'm going to get one of these ignitech CDI's, I don't have the time or skill or equipment to pull the engine.

Cheers

Curt

·
Super Moderator
11,471 Posts
If you are dead serious on getting the Ignitech, which I agree with, look in the Sell/Buy section here for the group buys thread. Cobram does these a couple times a year. There may even be someone out there that has an extra one.....even he might still have one.

Joel in the Couve

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for that, but I think it might be more expensive for me living in New Zealand.

As it will have to go to the states first and then onto to New Zealand.

Cheers

Curt

·
Registered
1 Posts
Curtis, What was the "full blown test"? i've been having the same types of problems and have been racking my brain, cleaning the carbs.. looking for air leaks. etc.

i'm just not sure my problem is the stator and would hate to venture into that project if i didnt really have to.

thanks

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi there

Firstly I used this test, which can be found at this link.

http://globalcxglvtwins.hostingdelivered.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=30

And then I found this test, which is a bit more comprehensive.

https://www.rmstator.com/PDF/fault_finding.pdf

On this second testing procedure, it passed the first part concerning charging no problem.

But when I try the test of the three yellow wires (i.e. the stator resistances) it failed. See the other pages.

But more importantly I can report that today's ride to and from work I had no repeat of the problem, in fact it was pulling like a train.

Jobs Done to date.

New Plugs and WD40'd plug caps.

New Air Filter

Disconnected all connectors clean, WD40'd and reconnected.

Put some STP petrol treatment in the tank to clean out the carbs.

So touch-wood it's all sorted, but I might still get on of those Ignitech CDI's.

Cheers

Curtis

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
There are still some myths and misinformation that surround these bikes,especially the CDI ignition versions.As soon as some one posts,"My Bike Bogs down @ so and so" the usual first replies are that either the CDI unit has gone or the high speed windings on the Stator.There are however other cheaper and easier to fix causes such as bad plugs,plug caps and or coils.Also badly serviced carburettors can cause bogging down as well.

Another myth is that the CDI units either work or don't.This is completely bogus.Some electronic units will fail completely but some may continue working at lower specs but within usable parameters so long as other parts,in this case part of the ignition system,are not affecting the load on the unit.

I have a CDI unit on one of my rides that until I put new plug caps and coil on the bike you would have swore was no good(Swapped with a known good one).It's been back on that bike over two years now.

Anyone having bogging down problems should make sure all other parts of the ignition system are nominal e.g plugs/plug caps/coils which as stated are cheaper and easier to replace before going further.

There's no doubt that the Ignitech units are good however I wonder how many usable CDI units may have been removed when the cause of the original problem has been masked by the new unit and how much will the new unit be degraded quicker over time by the weaker none replaced components?

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
And then I found this test, which is a bit more comprehensive.

https://www.rmstator.com/PDF/fault_finding.pdf

On this second testing procedure, it passed the first part concerning charging no problem.

But when I try the test of the three yellow wires (i.e. the stator resistances) it failed. See the other pages.

So touch-wood it's all sorted, but I might still get on of those Ignitech CDI's.

The statements above contradict each other. If you have a problem with your 3 yellow wires,,that is the charging part of your stator. An ignitech would not really help if there is a problem in the charging system.

If the trouble with your stator is in the 3 yellow wires you should be able to unplug them and the symptoms should disappear,,,,but you battery will not be getting any charge.

See this post http://cx500forum.com/index.php?/topic/3207-spark-problem/ and the links in it for some more info.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm no expert when it comes to electrics, but basically it all working fine.

The battery is getting charged and there's no more bogging.

So I'm happy. :)

It's a lot cheaper than a new CDI. Phew!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Heads up for all CX owners.

remember reading an article by Honda years ago about this very problem, turns out best way to stop it happening in the first place is to hard wire the stator (solder) the wires instead of having the standard block, it would appear that the stock block / any block will build up resistance and will eventualy give this problem.

Odie

Interesting that this is the same fix for mid-80s (84-87) Goldwings. My '86 had the stator go out within a couple of years and Honda charged me over $900 to get a replacement with a "lifetime" guarantee. Because the block connector continued to run hot and some signs of melting were appearing, my choice was to constantly maintain the connection with dielectric grease or eliminate it altogether. So I did exactly what you suggested...soldered the connection. I'm thinking the only reason for the connectors in the first place was that the bike couldn't be put together without them. I'm sure the engineers would agree that eliminating connectors would by the ideal solution.

Bill

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.