Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I rebuilt the 78 CX 500, I put Harley Davidson exhaust on it because the original exhaust were beyond repair. In all of my carburetor adjustments, I had the bike running either too lean or too rich, until I got them right. This resulted in a "blueing" and "golding" of the chrome exhaust.

I didn't like the look and started doing some internet searching. I came across a product called Blue Job. I read the reviews and watched the videos and decided to purchase some. The container is about the size of a skoal can, but it is not full. The cost is $11.00.

The instructions say to make a thick paste out of the powder and only use a little bit at a time. It also states to use only a LITTLE bit of water, no more than the amount of a spit.

I made the paste and rubbed on the pipes. It takes a lot of rubbing, but it does work. One pipe took about an hour. Here are the results.

Before:

After:

I think it was worth the money and effort and would recommend this product.

·
Super Moderator
11,471 Posts
That's quite interesting. Wonder how long that will last? Did you have left overs for other uses or just a one time shot? Did you take the pipes off to do it all around?

The color reflected in the photo makes it hard to determine to the eye if the full finish came back to normal or not since we didn't see a pic of the before the problem.

Joel in the Couve

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did not take the pipes off the bike and I did go all the way around as far as I could reach. I do have some of the powder left. The color did return to the natural chrome color and close enough that one would not notice the difference. I don't know how long it will last, I'm sure the blueing will eventually return since it has happened once.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Seems odd for it to happen to the muffler.

Do you still have the stock headers and hbox on it?

The stock headers are there all the way back to the H box. The H box was trashed so it was removed. A local muffler shop "made" a short pipe for each side to mount right to the Harley exhaust cans. Of course, the "made" part wasn't chrome, so I wrapped the pipes in header wrap. My assumption is that the heat that was generated couldn't be released fast enough so it followed the pipe all the way to the exhaust.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The stock headers are there all the way back to the H box. The H box was trashed so it was removed. A local muffler shop "made" a short pipe for each side to mount right to the Harley exhaust cans. Of course, the "made" part wasn't chrome, so I wrapped the pipes in header wrap. My assumption is that the heat that was generated couldn't be released fast enough so it followed the pipe all the way to the exhaust.

Gorgeous bike!

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
That's really great... a "blu" job???

BUT I wish the topic title was more "on the topic" as I thought this was a rant or something sexier
. I also wonder if it's relevant to the search engine here

enough forum police from me...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.