Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those that have been wondering about the status and location of Blue Fox, I'm here to clear up the mystery. He's been visiting me in Southern California for 10 days, wrenching on bikes and helping on home maintenance (no plumbing!). He and I got one of my GL650Is cleaned up, tuned up, painted up, and polished up good enough that I didn't mind taking it out to a local bikers hangout for a shakedown ride. We didn't leave any important parts on the highway, so it was a huge success!

Edit 4/22/11 -- A little update on the Fox (which he probably won't appreciate me posting). He was scheduled this morning to have a blood vessel in his leg re-jetted (opened up), but the docs wound up bypassing the restriction. Things went well, and he should be home by Monday. Say a little prayer or send good thoughts -- for the poor nurses that have to look after him.

Dude

A couple examples of his handiwork are included here. Thanks bro, for all the help, advice, and good company!

Dude

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
A couple examples of his handiwork are included here.

Nice guy,,he took a nice valve cover like that and made it look all crappy.

Seriously,,,looks like you guys were busy,,nice job Blue!

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
yep,i knew Blue was outa town......nice job you guys.

thanks for letting us know dude

·
Registered
82 Posts
What type of black paint did you use on the head covers? Looks beautiful. When I polished my heads on my 650 E i neglected the black paint but I think I want to go back and do it right.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Showmedude,

Was so funny, I called him about a week or so ago asking "if Roger can come out and play"and the Mrs. said "he's not here".....I said "so he's outside playing huh"....she said "no he's at his brother's in California".....I said "so in other words he's working on bikes for 10 days eh ?".......ha ha I knew it.

Anyway was waiting to hear your guys' success story, glad you got that thing up and going right........nice valve covers

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What type of black paint did you use on the head covers? Looks beautiful. When I polished my heads on my 650 E i neglected the black paint but I think I want to go back and do it right.

We found Dupli-Color Engine Enamel Ceramic 500 degree spray can paint at Pep Boys. I didn't watch him finish the job, so I don't know if he spit-shined them also.

All in all we shined/painted:

• all nuts and bolts removed
  • mufflers
  • H-box
  • fuse cover
  • wheels
  • headers
  • passenger floor-boards
  • valve covers
  • crash bars
  • Markland trunk extenders
  • chrome fender guards
  • final drive
  • hot-water pipe
  • rear brake arm, pedal, crossover
  • side and center stands
  • back end of the frame
  • more I can't even remember, (like the caps on the fork air valves, Rickbert)

Also disassembled and repaired the ignition switch I thought I'd fixed--and repaired the harness for same, repaired the ignition harness connector for another 650, changed fork oil, made a killing off a junkyard parts bike, repaired a leaking master cylinder (banjo nut washers, so not too major), color-tuned my GL500I (that's a see-through spark plug you can install and actually see the color of the combustion in the cylinder while it's running), and got me started polishing out the scratches in my windscreens. I'm sure there's more to go along with the new garage door windows, circuit breakers, screens and sliding glass patio doors, but no plumbing. When he gets back to Missouri tomorrow morning, give him a day or so to recuperate. He hinted that he may be available for consultation in warm, European or tropical locales once he catches his breath.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BUMP for the update in original post.

A little update on the Fox (which he probably won't appreciate me posting). He was scheduled this morning to have a blood vessel in his leg re-jetted (opened up), but the docs wound up bypassing the restriction. Things went well, and he should be home by Monday. Say a little prayer or send good thoughts -- for the poor nurses that have to look after him.

Dude

·
Registered
385 Posts
Hey before he goes under... can you ask him how he gets things so shiny... I am having a bear of a time trying to get my engine clean and shiny(er).

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey before he goes under... can you ask him how he gets things so shiny... I am having a bear of a time trying to get my engine clean and shiny(er).
Other than being somewhat of a magician, on valve covers with clearcoat still on them the process he used was: paint thinner to get the majority of the clear coat off, fine (800-1000) wet-dry sandpaper (wet) to get down to smooth aluminum, then inexpensive polishing tools to make it shine. What I had was a $5 kit from Harbor Freight with two bars of polish - one red (rouge) and one white (diamond) along with 2" wheels we chucked into a drill press. Red cuts less than white, so we used the red one primarily. He complained that working with a 2" vs 6" wheel was wasting valuable time, but when you're retired . . .

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Well, I made it out from under the knife. They put a 18" Goretex main artery in my leg from the knee up. I'm not sure why they used Goretex, maybe someone brought a old raincoat in that morning and didn't want to take it home. Since they put me under, I can't regale with any details on how cute the nurses were. But judging from the recovery room, I didn't miss much. Anyhow, back at home after 48+ hours in the hospital and doing well. Since smoking was the main cause of my problems, I am trying to quit that too. So if I get extra cranky, blame it on that.

As to polishing, Zegwin, I just took a low tech approach. I used paint "remover", not thinner first, washed that off in the kitchen sink, then wet sanded with 800 paper. I finished with rouge polish on a 2-3" cotton wheel in a drill press running at the highest speed. It just takes longer with a small wheel, but you can get farther into the cracks with it. Showmedude does have a 8" bench grinder, but we were using both ends already with a fine wire brush and cutoff wheel. If you looked closely, you can still see a remnant shadow of the oxidation in the finish. This can be eliminated with more sanding and buffing, but with the other issues we were tackling, it looked good enough for now.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
hell Blue,you kept that quiet.glad your doing ok.

48 plus hour turnover,thats swift.you must have plenty of good vibes

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.